Search This Blog

Thursday 8 January 2009

...just putting in time...

I had big plans for myself today. I traded with a co-worker to have his late shift today. I should have gotten up when Chris left for work. I should have stayed up after I went to pee and decided I could watch the end of BT in bed... Needless to say I slept longer than I should have - the laundry pile is sitting, untouched; the bathroom is a grimey mess; I rushed and tore to get a 'healthy' lunch together and get out the door on time. At least it is nearing the end of the week. At least the shows are new tonight. I'm off tomorrow, too, on account of working Saturday, so I will indeed try to get the house in tip top shape then.

Last night we joined Chris' family at his parents' home to celebrate Rose's birthday. Originally, there was a surprise party planned at Papa Joe's, but Rose got wind of it (can't pull much over on her!), and it wasn't at all what she wanted. She was able to blame the weather for changing plans, and it ended up being two couples close to her, along with Chris & I and his brother Shawn. Gary had made up a slide show of pictures of Rose through the years, and a few priceless videos. They ordered Chinese food, and it wasn't long before that scoff was only a distant memory. A good time was had by all, and most importantly, the birthday girl was happy with how the night turned out.

The drive home was a little hairy...when we left for home it was about 10:30pm...probably 5-7 cms of snow had fallen, and freezing rain started after that. When I'd arrived, the driveway had been full, so I had to park on the side of the road. The plow was just making it's rounds when we were going home...he actually waited for me to leave, which was really nice of him. However, on account of that, I made a rather hasty retreat from the road... Chris had quickly swept off all the snow from the windows, and I just hit the gas and went. By the time I had reached the TCH, my entire windshield was coated in freezing rain and I couldn't see a thing. The worst part, I couldn't see the side of the highway to pull over. I had a good idea that I was on my side of the lane (thanking GOD that there are two lanes and there wasn't any traffic though), so I just kept driving, but I was terrified. Finally a small, tiny patch of windshield opened up so I could hunch down to peek through it and got home, unscathed...

Moral of the story: stay up after you've had your morning pee, and don't drive in freezing rain until your car warms up.

No comments: