Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 April 2008

Farewell

Today I learned that a friend/co-worker's sister passed away last night. She was young, otherwise healthy, but had suffered a bad fall a few weeks ago - leaving her to be transferred to a hospital out of province, and on life support. I believe there were a few surgeries done as well, on acount of her brain bleeding - and at the tail end, she ended up breathing on her own, but that was it. She would never be the same ... The doctors advised she'd never get 'better', but they didn't know how long she'd last like she was, in the state she was in. Being so young, there was the possibility that she'd last like that a long time...

She was the mother of three - 2 boys in their twenties, and a fifteen year old girl. I taught her daughter in kindergarten. Such a sweet little thing...she was one of my favourites...and I always looked fondly at her mother...such a nice lady. I was thrilled when I found out my co-worker was her sister. Such a small world! I remember how the sadness was evident in her eyes when Mom & I saw her at Sobeys when she first found out that Dad had passed away. She worked there, and she only knew Mom & Dad from coming into the store regularly...but that was just the kind of person she was.

This past weekend the doctors in Moncton gave clearance to transfer her home to PEI. She died a few days later. I think she just wanted to come home. In one respect I feel that it is a blessing for her to be at peace - to have ended her suffering. She wouldn't have had any quality of life...but on the other hand, I sympathize with the grieving family. It's such a senseless loss...an accident that happened so quickly - taking minutes to change an entire family's life. I cry for my friend. I cry for the family. I cry for that poor daughter who will now have to grow up without a mother.

Never put off what you want to do...live each day as if it was your last...because you just never know what your fate is, and it can all be taken away so quickly. Always let people know you care about them...never let them assume it.

No comments: