Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 July 2008

Oh Canada, our home and native land...

I trust y'all had a fabulous Canada Day? Finally the weather cleared up so I did get down to the waterfront yesterday. I was hoping to make it down for the Collective Soul concert on Monday night, but as they opened up for the Hip and I had to work til 7pm on overtime, I just couldn't make it in time so opted to stay home. The other few nights were too wet and rainy to even bother going down. I am not a 'stand-in-the-rain' kinda girl (well, I'd have to consider it for my Bon Bon). Apparently, this year's festival was a huge sucess - the biggest ever, with 14,000 people landing there. Of course the City is complaining, per usual, about the noise and the unruliness. I have no sympathy for them - they do live in the heart of the city. If you want to have peace, quiet, and tranquility, move to the country.

So, a recap of yesterday, for your viewing pleasure:
- Lana & I started our festivities by lunching again at Cedars for some shawarma...and it was deeee-licious.
- Full bellies later, we then walked over to the Confed Centre, and looked at the Cancer Connections photo exhibit put on by PhotoSensitive (Lana had not yet been). I was thoroughly and absolutely repulsed by the blatant act of vandalism & disrespect when noticing one of the prints had been graffiti'd. How could someone do something like that??!
- onward to the waterfront, we toured around a bit, looking into some of the shops, but it was so freakin' hot, we didn't last long doing that. We each purchased an over-prized, under-sized slushy and then headed to Sandland.
-Sandland was very cool, but we felt not as fabulous as last year -maybe because we'd already seen it last year? Nevertheless, if you've not yet been, go - it's very neat.
- after Sandland, we then headed toward the sanctity of a little shade - with the humidex in the high 30's if not approaching 40, it was nearly unbearable. We couldn't understand how some people looked so comfortable and free of sweat as they walked past.... We ended up sitting on the steps of a church, sucking back our liquids (I, an over-priced bottle of water; Lana, an over-priced bottle of iced tea)
- from there, we headed back toward my car, with the initial intent of sitting in the a/c and going for a drive, but ended up meeting up with Chris, sat on a bench under a tree, then headed to Brennans, where Bruce joined us, and we sat for an over-priced, sub-par supper before heading back down to the waterfront.
- we went to the petting zoo - my first time seeing a real-life baby pig. Sooo cute :). The emu was freakin' scary...even Bruce didn't really want to feed him.
- Matt Andersen in concert....awesome, as I expected. The worst part of it was he didn't have enough time to play.
- fireworks - they were ok...they always advertize them as 'the best in Atlantic Canada'...and maybe I enjoy quantity over quality...they ended pretty quickly. What we did see, though, was pretty good.

Back to work now - another day with mandatory OT and I'm exhausted. Who do we have to contact to ensure Canada is a 2 day holiday, anyway? :P
*photo courtesy of Chris Wilkinson

1 comment:

Terry said...

What's Canada Day? I've always wanted to ask that.