Search This Blog

Monday 21 July 2008

Monday night review

The habit strictly compels me now. The entertainment? Meh. My thoughts on tonight's show:

1) Theo Tams - No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley ~ I didn't love it; I didn't hate it. I'm not convinced that Theo gives off a 'reggae' vibe, but it wasn't bad.
2) Mitch MacDonald - Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey Band ~ I hated it; he ruined an old favorite for me. Jeff had an edgy feel - Mitch was nasal-y a la Steve Urkel. Bad.
3) Earl Stevenson - Light My Fire - The Doors ~ he's top 9 in Canada; I just don't understand it. Apparently, my opinion differs greatly from the judges'.
4) Sebastian Pigott - Love Me - Elvis ~ What? No guitar as a prop tonight, dude? I really like this song when I hear Elvis sing it. Elvis wasn't singing it tonight, and that was blatantly apparent. Bad. Bad. Bad. It's like he needs his brother to survive, and with his brother gone, he's dying a slow, painful death.
5) Katherine St-Laurent - Move Over - Janis Joplin ~ well to start, JJ is NOT my taste in music, so based solely on the performance I guess she did ok with it, singing-wise, but she didn't pull off the edgy Janis-vibe.
6) Drew Wright - No Rain - Blind Melon ~ much better choice to command the stage instead of behind the drum set. I liked it; he won't win, but I hope he sticks around a little longer so I can see his pretty eyes for a few more weeks.
7) Mookie Morris - I Feel Good - James Brown ~ I enjoy Mookie; again, never really enjoyed this song - but he performed it well, in traditional Mookie-fashion.
8) Amberly Thiessen - Redemption Song - Bob Marley ~ she has a sweet, folky flare to her singing, and I really like her, no matter what she sings. Good job.
9) Mark Day - Dance with my Father - Luther Vandros ~ ok, so I can't listen to that song without crying...he sang it really well - he emoted it well, bringing his mom, himself, and me, to tears. And, he didn't twirl. Good job, Mark, you secured yourself for another week.

Bottom 3: Mitch, Sebastian, & Katherine

Going home: Sebastian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally someone is as uncharitable as I re: Piggot.

Amber said...

Thanks for stopping by, Carl :). Finally, after last night, Piggot has left the building, so we can both breathe a sigh of relief!