Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 August 2007

Monster bunnies, oh my!

I hadn't seen this story before...a friend at work pointed it out to me today: (excerpt linked from CNN's website, doing a search. For full story see: http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,458863,00.html)

It all started when Karl Szmolinsky won a prize for breeding Germany's largest rabbit, a friendly-looking 10.5 kilogram "German Gray Giant" called Robert, in February 2006.
Images of the chubby monster went around the world and reached the reclusive communist state of North Korea, a country of 23 million which according to the United Nations Food Programme suffers widespread food shortages and where many people "struggle to feed themselves on a diet critically deficient in protein, fats and micronutrients."

Szmolinsky, 67, from the eastern town of Eberswalde near Berlin, recalls how the North Korean embassy approached his regional breeding federation and enquired whether it might be willing to sell some rabbits to set up a breeding farm in North Korea. He was the natural choice for the job.
Each of his rabbits produces around seven kilograms of meat, says Szmolinsky, who was so keen to help alleviate hunger in the impoverished country that he made the North Koreans a special price -- €80 per rabbit instead of the usual €200 to €250.
"They'll be used to help feed the population," Szmolinsky told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "I've sent them 12 rabbits so far, they're in a petting zoo for now. I'll be travelling to North Korea in April to advise them on how to set up a breeding farm. A delegation was here and I've already given them a book of tips."

Apparently, one of these giant rabbits provides a filling meal for 8 people... I'm going to go home and cradle our bunny, Homer - he'll not be Sunday supper (or any other night of the week, for that matter), I can assure you.

4 comments:

Ir.Ken C.K. Ngan BEng(Hons), MSc(Eng), RLE, REE, CEng, MIMechE, MHKIE, RPE, REA/QSP, ESF, FMCKMc said...

Dear Amble

Could you tell me the naked truth? I have never seen a rabbit like this, the rabbit grows very big and is like a dog...

Is it the same category with some common rabbits? or Is it a rabbit affected by some unknown substances, for example: cosmic radiation or nuclear radiation...like a story found in the movie.

If you have time, please tell me more!

Best Regards
Ken Ngan (HONG KONG)

peirocks said...

Homer wouldn't even make a good appetizer.

Amber said...

For Ken:

Ken, I was referred to this story by a friend; he'd originally seen it on CNN, so when I went to the CNN site I did a search and the story came up from the following URL:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,458863,00.html

The man is a breeder of rabbits...and the article doesn't go into detail on how he breeds them - sorry! I would think it would have started with a few 'larger than the average bunnies', and then on and on from there.

Thanks for checking on my blog!

August 8, 2007 6:14 PM

Amber said...

note: that URL is missing the "html" at the end of it...if you're wanting to see the full story, be sure to add the html after the period.