Search This Blog

Saturday 4 July 2009

Entertain me...

So the Festival of Lights, our Canada Day celebration, is a week-long event, complete with outdoor concerts on the Charlottetown waterfront. Chris has been the official event photographer for the past number of years, and for the past number of years, he's tried to convince me to come down to join the celebration. The weather, traditionally, hasn't been fantastic, so I've opted out all years previous on account of the rainy, wet, muddy conditions. In retrospect, I've kicked myself in the bum for missing a few of the acts, as some bands likely will not play here again. This year, I was delighted to find out that Daughtry would be in the lineup. I've watched Chris Daughtry from the start, when he was nervously trying out for American Idol -- and I knew back then, he'd be a star. I vowed I wouldn't let the weather get in my way this time.

Yesterday I received a text message from Chris advising that he would meet me with a VIP pass to the concert - good for the next two nights :) That, my friends, is the way to see a concert. Perhaps I'm showing my age, but the whole crowd thing, body surfing, mosh pit, boobs jiggling, drunk as skunk atmosphere isn't my bag...(though if I were to get just one more opportunity to see my Bon Bon again, perhaps I'd find a way to cope just to be closer to him...). VIPers also get their own set of port-a-potties, and their own beer tent. The word, "tent", in the preceding sentence is the operative word of concern for last evening.

I arrived on site just to hear the rumbling of thunder in the distance. I got through the security check before a few raindrops fell. I was in the shelter of the tent before the flood gates of Heaven opened up and a torrential downpour and roaring thunder/lightning show encroached Charlottetown. It was insane. The water dripping off the awning of the tent looked as though someone was on top of the roof pouring a huge container of water down (and I have to admit to saying to myself, "poor b@stards!", when seeing the people standing on the grounds, getting drenched to their drawers). For a while, it didn't look good for the concerts...however, after about a half hour the rain cleared and the show went on. Life in the Maritimes...

Two Hours Traffic, a local band, opened the show - unfortunately for them the rain delay meant less time to showcase themselves. From there, Theory of a Deadman got the crowd going, singing some old and new stuff - and to my delight, "No Surprise", and "Santa Monica". I was a little disappointed that they weren't the headliner of the night. They put on a good show. From there, Simple Plan hit the stage. Energetic, enthusiastic, and entertaining, they were! The crowd ate it up from start to finish. Good job, guys!

While standing in the crowd band watching, and people watching, I noticed a guy standing in my midst who looked very familiar. For ages I stared, trying to figure out how I knew him. It finally dawned on me - during SP's "Addicted" (you know, "I'm a dick...I'm a-dick-ted to you..."), no less. He was the one guy from my past who asked me out on a date and then stood me up. I can still remember the outfit I wore that night...a new sweater/striped pant combination I had bought at Sears (it was in the 80's, don't judge :P). I can't remember how much time I let lapse before I finally admitted that he wasn't coming 'round. Needless to say, at the time, I was heart-broken. So yeah -that dick. He got fat - and he's still a slimebucket, seeing how he was oogling the cougar in front of us with - her boobies & butt hanging out for all to see (even the lead singer of the band was oogling her). Funny thing - I remember his face, but darned if I can remember his name.

2 comments:

Lana said...

And it's not worth remembering. Glad you had a great time at the concert last night and I hope Chris thrills you as much as BonBon!!

Rhonda Bowlan said...

Well,glad to hear you got the VIP due to this wacky weather! Enjoy your other boyfriend(Daughtry)! You and I both know that he can't top Jon, but I'm sure you'll still enjoy it!:)