Search This Blog

Thursday 23 July 2009

Bookworm

When I was young, I was an avid reader. Some weekends I'd hole up in my bedroom and get through an entire book between Friday night thru Sunday. When we moved here from Ontario, books were my solace during a lonely summer not knowing any of the neighborhood kids. Over the past few years, I let my reading habit slide...replacing my free time with too much reality tv, and *gasp* Facebook. Just recently, I've really tried to get back into reading. The warm sunny days have aided in it, mind you, as it's nothing for me to sit out on the deck for a few hours and pore through a book. In the past week I've finished up two really good reads - "For One More Day", by Mitch Albom, and "A Lion Called Christian", by Anthony Bourke and John Rendall.

"For One More Day" is an amazing story...it's heart-wrenching & thought-provoking, and I guarantee you will cry. Imagine the ability to have a do-over...to have just one more day with a loved one whom you've lost untimely... What would you say to him or her? This book examines that, and the end ties the story up in a neat little bow. I don't purposely read books/watch movies that will evoke that emotion in me, because let's face it - I'm a wuss, and cry way too easily on my own. That aside, the story just for the telling is so worth the read, despite a moment of emotional weakness.

"A Lion Called Christian" explains the YouTube phenomenom that is "Christian the Lion". I can't watch that video clip and not shed a tear and want to go hug my kitties. A baby lion was purchased by two young gentlemen in England at Harrod's Department Store. Back then, apparently it wasn't uncommon for the purchase of such an unusual and extravagant gift. Obviously a lion can't be a pet, and when he got to the point that his size warranted it, he was given a chance to live the life he was intended for - in the wild in Africa. It speaks of the importance of conservation of life's precious creatures, of course, but most importantly it is a love story between an animal and its "master"....and the special, unending, bond between them...a very sweet story.

Aside from these most recent reads, I've also devoured a few chick lit books by Sophie Kinsella - "Confessions of a Shopaholic", and "Can you Keep a Secret?" Both quick, mindless fun...great company as you soak up the rays of a warm, sunny, summer day. I do plan on getting my hands on the rest of her Shopaholic series. In addition, Jodi Piccoult has also become a favorite author of mine...so far love all the books that I've read that she's penned (aside from "Second Glance" that is).

Go on and get your own read on. And feel free to comment with any title suggestions you may have :).

2 comments:

tina said...

Second Glance was the only one of her books I couldnt read . The rest are awesome. I'm reading Handle with Care right now and can't put it down

Rhonda Bowlan said...

I've been wanting to read "Confessions of a Shopaholic"...do you have it? And if so, would you loan it out?
Rhonda B.