Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 May 2009

A Farewell to George

It's a sad day. Last night I found out that our dear neighbor, George, passed away. He had been sick in the hospital for a number of weeks now, and Chris & I had intended on getting out to visit him. We didn't realize just how sick he was, I guess...and unfortunately we didn't make it in time.
George lived beside us, and was like the 'watch dog' of the neighborhood. He knew what went on, no matter the time or the season. We always felt safe leaving the house when we knew he was there to keep an eye out.

He had diabetes and bad circulation in his hands and feet, so had a hard time doing some of his outside work. Chris helped him cut the lawn and would shovel him out when it snowed. Every now and then he'd have a case of beer or a box of clementines for him in return (so cute). He took a real shine to Chris. Years earlier he'd lost a son (highway accident), so perhaps Chris filled this void for him. Whenever he needed anything Chris was the first person he called, and we were the 'emergency contact' people for his lifeline jack.

I joked that I wanted to set him up with Mum...both widowed, I felt they'd be a good match. It was an on-going joke with Mum & I. Honestly, I'm not sure if she really wanted to meet a man, but in hind sight, perhaps it couldn't have hurt. Unfortunately I now won't get the chance.

George was a cantankerous old man.

George was an old softy and when he cared about you, you knew.

George will be missed.

1 comment:

Lana said...

A touching tribute to your neighbour. Hugs to Chris to reaching out to someone in need.