Search This Blog

Thursday 27 November 2008

Wherein I express my distaste for the Mall....

Greetings - I was off yesterday, on account of working this coming Saturday. It was a busy day indeed, and I didn't accomplish half of what I wanted to, unfortunately. I did get a few Christmas gifts purchased, however, and got over to Mom's to see Todd for his birthday and give him his gift. I had a lovely visit with Mummy, and a lovely treat with supper bought for me too. Am I feeling any more festive, you ask? Um, NO.

Picture it: Our above-normal-seasonal temperature, the Mall with it's automatic-it's-November-now-so-let's-blast-heat thermostats...and me, who hates to be warm. I only wore a vest for outer wear, thinking that would be a benefit. Turns out I should have worn my bikini. (I kid, I kid, NO ONE needs to see this bodacious bod in a bikini).

I go in search of the "Garage" store, that has since moved to the other side of the freaking Mall since I'd last been there. By the time I get to the store, I'm already in a lather. There are teeny-tiny outfits all in my midst. The girls manning the cash are all in a huddle discussing some boy or another... I find something, to my surprise, on my own, and make my way up to the cash. By this time, the huddle has dissipated, but now I'm in the back of a humungous line-up (and I wonder where the other two girls from the huddle went to, since there is only 1 of them manning the cash). The lady in front of me left the counter to look at the watches. She comes back, watch-less, to her spot in line. She changes her mind, goes back again to look at the watches. She again returns, empty-handed. It's now her turn to have her purchases rung in. After a few shirts are ready to be bagged, she goes back to the watches, and this time brings it back to be rung in... but as the girl goes to do so, she asks a question about the band on the watch. The girl has to open up a sampler to show her (by this time the sweat from the back of my neck has dripped all the way down my back, and has formed a pool at my waistline). The opening of the sampler seems to take forever...when the girl finally gets it open, the lady then turns her nose up at the closure of the watch, and decides she doesn't want it after all (I wanted to make her eat it).

I get to my 2nd destination store, where I had called ahead to hold a piece of merchandise. I tell the girl at the counter who I am, and why I'm there. She looks very confused, but leaves the counter to go out back to search for my held item. While she's gone I see something by the cash that might make a good stocking stuffer so I place it on the counter. She returns, places my held item right beside the item I placed down. She rings my purchase through, and bags it, but leaves my impulse item on the counter. I thought of just plopping it in the bag, but I'm too honest, so asked her, "Did you get this, too?". She looks a little stunned..."uh...no, no I didn't see that". (It was right there, beside the item you did ring in, you numb nut). So I again have to pull out my debit card to get a 2nd purchase complete. It's just a good thing I pay a fee for unlimited debit entries.

I then left the Mall.

I almost got hit 3 times leaving the parking lot because people don't LOOK or care...arrrgh!

Oh how I prefer online Christmas shopping so much more...no line-ups, no dumb cash tellers, no indecisive old ladies, no dumb drivers, no sweat. I can just feel my Christmas spirit building as I type...

No comments: