Search This Blog

Saturday 8 November 2008

Puppy Love

I'm at work today. I would like to share a little email exchange between myself and my darling Christopher that has just recently transpired:

C: How's your day going?

A: Slowly. And yours? Did you get up after I left? Did you make yourself some coffee? Did you clean the house? Make the bed? :P (I KILL me!)

C: I didn't do any of that! Been busy...

This reply has an attachment added to it. So I open said attachment, to find this:

So to give you a bit of history, I hate dogs. They smell bad; they drool. For as long as I've known Chris he's said, "one day we'll have a dog". I keep telling him NO. A few years back, our friends Cody and Jool got a new golden retriever puppy. We went to visit so I could meet said puppy. The next day a picture of a golden retriever puppy occupied my computer desktop. I still hold steadfast that I hate dogs and I won't have one. However, after meeting Sammy as a pup and the reaction I had to him I came to the conclusion that if you brought a puppy into my home I'd have a hard time letting him/her go. So Chris knows this loophole. When I first saw the picture I immediately thought he likely had a friend visiting with a new pup, or even was taking photos of one for someone he knew. But look at that face! Who wouldn't want him? (her?)? I felt butterflies in my stomach for a moment....wondering to myself...did he? Would he? Noooo. Maybe? No...but then I kept looking at the little smoochie face...and I kinda hoped that he did.

The emails continue:
A: Um. That is a recent picture of our living room because I see my old coat hanging. (We'd cleaned out an old closet and he'd taken the old coat into the living room the other day. I'd not yet done something with the coat, and I knew that he'd never have put it away. The coffee table was just as I'd left it this morning). That is a rather wonderfully cute puppy. Who does it belong to?

C: :)

A few more butterflies form.

A: That wonderfully cute puppy cannot belong to us. We would not be able to afford such a wonderfully cute puppy right now. You must be taking photos of someone else's wonderfully cute puppy. Right?

C: :)

A: *narrowed eyes* CHRISTOPHER!

C: *puppy eyes* AMBERFER!

A: If you're joking with me, this isn't a very nice joke!

C: :)

At this point I'm convinced that I'm the mom to another furbaby. I wonder how the kitties are reacting to the new addition. I wonder if Bosco is cowering in the corner. I wonder if Zoe is hiding under the bed and if I'll ever see her again.

A: Will this wonderfully cute puppy be present upon my return home from work this evening?

C: I think so

Now I just want him to fess up and confirm things for me. I wonder how he pulled this one off without the least bit of suspicion on my part.

A: This isn't fair. TELL ME.

C: :)

Yep, I thought, "He did it. He went behind my back and got a stinky, drooly puppy - but the puppy is so darn cute I can't help but already love him/her".

A: CHRISTOPHER! Do we have a puppy!!??

C: Do I detect some a level of excitement?!

A: Well. The puppy is deliciously wonderfully cute. SPILL

C: Ok. I don't actually know who owns that puppy.

My emotions take an immediate fall. The butterflies start to die.

A: Oh. So you found him/her around the park?

C: It's photoshopped. I wanted to see how well a puppy would fit in the living room. I have pulled a fast one on you.

I couldn't believe how angry I was. The jerk! That was so mean!

A: I hate you.

C: Not enough to throw me out if I brought a puppy home. Now I know. ;)

So now I sit, mourning the loss of a puppy I never had. Chris has confirmed his loophole, and life continues as it already had. I was duped. And it's not even April 1.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber, cute adorable puppies grow up to be big stinky slobbery dogs living in an overly crowded mini-home!! Want proof? Go visit Joe and Hilda sometime in the animal shelter they call a home!

Amber said...

Oh yes, I know. It was a fleeting moment filled with delusions. I'm happy now that the puppy was photoshopped. Trust me. :)

Anonymous said...

Some puppies don't get that big though Amber...think Buddy : )