Search This Blog

Friday 28 November 2008

Farewell to Nannie

My Nannie passed away this morning. She was 93 years old.

She had entered a nursing home the same week that Dad went into the hospital, so was in ailing health for quite some time. She kept having 'mini strokes', but always bounced back, much to the surprise of her doctors and family. The last time I'd seen her she was rather unresponsive, aside from a few smiles. There was no 'recognition' in her face when we came to visit. She had lost so much weight she was barely recognizable. The woman before me was definitely not my Nannie that I had remembered - with her apron on, telling me there were fresh cinnamon rolls in the pantry before we got a chance to even sit down.

She gave the best hugs. She squeezed til it almost hurt.

She was an awesome baker - never measuring, but her chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon rolls always tasted the same - always delicious.

She was very crafty. She loved to knit, crochet, and most of all, she loved to sew. She made her own clothes, and was an avid quilter until her eyesight got too bad. Growing up, each Christmas all the grand-girls would receive a homemade nightie, reminiscent of "Little House on the Prairie", made out of flowered-print flannel. I can remember it being one of my favorite gifts every year. Each year thereafter I missed (and still do) getting my new homemade nightie. I still have a few quilts that she made for me, which I will truly cherish.

Good bye Nannie - I will miss you. xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And sometimes it did hurt, but that was okay too.
Although I wish the cicumstances were happier ones, it'll be nice to see you =D