Search This Blog

Monday 3 January 2011

Like sands through the hourglass...

...er, well, you know what I mean (man I used to be addicted to that soap opera). It's another year. A new calendar. New possibilities. New hopes. My new year started out rather quietly. NYE we went to Julie & Brian's, joining Tanya, Jared & Ryder, and Erin, Shane & Nate to count down to the midnight hour. My friends, Jackson & Triggs also came along for the ride, and because I couldn't let either one of them stay there without me, I slept away the better part of January 1st, followed by an evening of jammied tv time. Yesterday was pretty much a repeat of NY Day (the older you get, the more recovery time you need. And lesson learned: there really isn't a need to polish an entire bottle in one evening). The tree is still standing, fully decorated - partly out of laziness, partly because it's just so damn pretty and I hate the emptiness it leaves in the room when it's taken down. We'll probably get around to de-Christmassing this coming weekend. Probably.

So a new year, and with it come new resolutions. I've never been one to fully get on board with making "resolutions", but last January I did have a few ideas that I jotted down that I wanted to accomplish in 2o10. Let's revisit them, shall we, and I'll note how successful or unsuccessful of an undertaking they actually were in parentheses:

-to continue my 'healthier eating' approach to life (HUGE FAIL)
-to commit 1 day/week to my momma - be it an outing for the two of us, a visit to watch tv with her, or just a phone call. (SUCCESS)
-to read 1 book per month (Fail, but I finished several books, which was probably more in the year than I had in many years prior (combined).)
-to drink more water (Consistent attempt)
-to try new fruits and vegetables (new WHAT??!)
-to pay my Visa down (Bahahaha! Right. FAIL).
-to own (ie, have the ability to fit my fat calves into) a pair of high boots (SUCCESS (not because I lost weight in my calves, though. Thanks to http://www.widewidths.com/, I now own a pair of tall boots that I find very comfortable - fat calves and all.)
-to have a more positive attitude re: certain things in my life (Work in progress)
-to laugh more (My mom still thinks I have no sense of humour.)
-to craft more, even if it's just making cards (I never bought one store-bought card in 2010. I didn't craft anything else, though.)
-to de-clutter (The tin collection above my kitchen cupboards finally found it's way to the recycling bins...does that count?)
-to exercise and learn to like it (I played tennis. And liked it. Once. *looks down at protruding fat belly and feels like a failure*)

(I shall continue this list into 2011....and in 2012 we can re-revisit ;))


So I guess my 2010 was a year of some success, but mostly failures when you put it down in point form (see why I don't make resolutions?). Yes, I still need work at learning to budget, which includes finding extra money to pay down credit card debt. And yes, I fell off the healthy eating wagon...hard. So I have a few challenges for myself in the year ahead to get back ON that wagon and ride it to victory. This may come with the resurgence of the blog...and I welcome any and all words of encouragement and polite kicks in the ass that you can provide. One of my biggest accomplishments that I've stuck with, however, is freeing up regular time to spend with my Mom. Our time together is super important to me. I love her dearly, and I hope our Mummy & Me nights can continue for many years to come. That one accomplished goal alone makes up for all the less than successful moments. Though I may have to shop at a website for fluffy calves, and I still may find myself winded as I reach the threshold of a stairway, I'm creating precious memories of time well spent with one of the most important people in my life. And that's worth more than it's weight in gold. Happy New Year. May you all take a regular opportunity throughout 2011 to make your own precious moments in time.

3 comments:

Laurie-Anne said...

Amber
I don't think you realize you kept the most important resolution you made on Jan 1st, 2010.........spending treasured time and making lasting memories with your Mom.
Great job....2010 was a success.
Happy 2011.
Love you.
L.A.

Shar said...

I agree with the comment above. The resolution you did the best with is the most important. If you lost your Mom in 2010 you wouldn't have cared that you ate more fruits and vegetables.

I myself loath resolutions. So I keep the same one every year, and I happily fail at it every year. So for 2011, the same as 2010, I resolve to give birth to triplet boys. Not something I have any interest in doing so I am rather relieved when I fail miserably at it.

Anonymous said...

wow you look like your mom ... she looks young enough to be your older sister