Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 February 2009

A step back in time

Lori and I had a date last night. We went to the movies to see the 'new' Friday the 13th - it was purely for nostalgic reasons. Lori introduced me to the horror genre. The two of us met when we were 12, in grade 7. Routinely I would go to her place on a Friday after school and/or spend the day together on Saturdays. I always liked the idea of scary movies, but wasn't allowed to watch them at home. When she had the idea of renting a scary movie I was all for it...the danger of it all, and oh such rebellion ;). We'd rent the movie, then go down into her basement to watch it, with all the lights out and curtains drawn on the windows - huddled under a blanket. And for a 12 -13 year old, the movies we watched were damn scary!

Birthday parties spent at her place were generally a sleepover, and scary movies were always on tap for the entertainment. Sometimes her older brother would jump out at us from his bedroom just to get a laugh. That just added to the suspense of our scary afternoon or evening (it didn't help that there was a suspicion that her basement was haunted...unexplained noises...pool balls entering the corner pocket when no one was playing...). One of the most memorable was at a birthday party - the basement was full of girls keenly tuned into Friday the 13th part III (which I believe was in 3D?). The final scene in the movie was playing...the peaceful music in the background, Jason was "dead" and all was right with the world...until the very last second when he jumped through a window and from behind a curtain to allow a 4th chapter, of course. If that wasn't scary enough, at the exact same instance that Jason jumped out, Lori's cat jumped out from behind the basement window curtain. The entire room of girls screamed...and I'm pretty sure I led the squeals, and don't know to this day how I restrained from wetting myself. It was terrifying and hilarious at the same time. *sigh* Good times ;).

So the Derby basement was where I got my first taste of true horror/slasher/blood-letting/gorefest movies...and Lori was always my movie partner. I still enjoy "scary" movies, but not the bloody gory ones. However, I could think of no better person to accompany me to the new movie when I saw it advertise, for old times sake. We both looked at each other and giggled when the familiar "ch ch ch ah ah ah" sounds could be heard. The movie itself turned out to be pretty bad...gratuitous violence and blood-letting, of course. There was the token teenage sex scenes (and my biggest laugh of all was the line, "your tits are stupendous" during the token scene), and the token suspense with the victims running away and taking too long to get there, all as Jason walked toward them with his machete. There were a few jumps to be had, and we laughed out loud repeatedly. I had a good time, for all - the company was superb, and I'm glad that we went - for nostalgic reasons. :)

No comments: