Search This Blog

Saturday 21 February 2009

A night out at the Vinyl Cafe

You all know how I love me some Matt ... so!... how delighted was I when I heard the announcement last December that he'd be touring with Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe, and one of the stops was Charlottetown? My tickets were purchased that very night - front row, centre, in fact. The show was last night. I'd never been front row at the Confed Centre before, and for those that don't know, it's the orchestra pit. All seating in the theatre is squishy at best (as Chris said, "when they built this thing were people smaller?"), but it seems the orchestra seating was especially tight. It didn't help that I'm not a skinny minny...nor was the lovely lady alongside of me, whom I felt a lot closer to than I should have - for not knowing who she was. Her right hip was resting snuggly alongside, on top of, even, my left hip. To top it off, there was a noxious odor that was quite apparent. I'm unsure if it was emanating from the lovely lady beside me, the gentleman beside Chris, someone from behind us, the orchestra seats themselves...but I felt like I was mashed up inside an old sweaty gym locker or hockey bag.

No matter - I was going to see Matt...

In all honesty, the main reason we attended was to see Matt. Neither Chris nor I had tuned into the Cafe on CBC prior. We had seen one special on TV which was Stuart's Christmas special, which didn't impress us (but from what I've heard, that wasn't 'his best work'). However, we were pleasantly surprised at just how entertaining the show was. I laughed; I cried; I laughed til I cried... He engaged the audience, who ranged from age 7 years to 90 years. I'd definitely recommend this show to anyone.

For those readers who have not heard of the Cafe or Stuart McLean, he's a story-teller. He animatedly tells his own stories, and also reads aloud stories which have been sent to him. In addition to his storytelling, Stuart also showcases local talent to incorporate an, "I saw them before they were famous", type-thing, and give them an opportunity to have others witness their talents. In addition to Matt Andersen, Stuart had Meaghan Smith join him for the entertainment part of his show. I dunno about Matt on that aspect (and if the cheering from the crowd was any indication, I believe I'm not alone in this)...he's pretty famous in his own right, but as far as Meaghan is concerned, she had a beautiful voice, I enjoyed her performances immensely, and I think she's on a swift road to making a big name for herself.

Bravo team, bravo!!
Stuart on stage - recounting stories of Dave and Morley...hilarious :)

And here we have Matt - although he was only on stage to perform 3 songs, he put his all into every note. I had goosebumps on my goosebumps, and though I've seen him perform multiple times, I'm still awe-struck every time...


Meaghan Smith - she has a folksy, vintage flair, with soft, sweet tones.

The final performance was "In the Sweet By and By", where Stuart himself joined Meaghan and Matt in singing.
A bow from the entertainers to a standing ovation**. From left to right: Dennis Pendrith, bassist; Jason Mingo, Meaghan's husband, who accompanied her on guitar; John Sheard, pianist; Meaghan Smith; Matt Andersen; Stuart McLean

Chris and Matt; Chris insists on getting an autograph and picture at every opportunity we hear Matt play. As every one of our CDs is signed, this time, he had him sign his iPod. Stalkerish?
Of course I, too, had to get in on the action :)

**this picture cracks me up every time I look at it. All the performers had locked hands to bow together, and the way the bassist's hand was turned makes it look like he's giving the audience the f-finger...the look on his face doesn't help. Teee heeee...

No comments: