Search This Blog

Friday 31 October 2008

There's another you...

So I get an email from Chris today. The exchange went like this:

C: Wait, what?! There's another you around here somewhere! So. I went to Sobey's in Stratford to grab treats and lunch. While walking towards the treat section, I saw someone who I thought was you! It took 'til 10 feet before I was like...ok, not her.
A: You should get your eyes checked.
C: No, it's not even that, same hair, eyes, denim coat and black pants. It was weird!
A: You should have taken a picture.
C: I know, but my camera phone is horrible so there was little point.
A: Yeah but even a horrible pic might have captured the 'resemblance' so I believe you. Perhaps you were just missing me.
C: Well, see, had it just been the one occurrence, I would agree. But. I grabbed my treats, grabbed pizza, ended up in the same checkout, and even watched her drive by. Each time commenting to myself of the remarkable resemblance.
A: She probably thinks you're creepy for staring.
C: Maybe
A: My doppleganger. Cool.

In Wiki-ing the word, doppleganger is defined as "the ghostly double of a living person, a sinister form of bilocation". So when first discussing this, I was thinking 'cool'....not sinister... But wait...it gets better:

"In the vernacular, "Doppelgänger" has come to refer to any double or look-alike of a person. The word is also used to describe the sensation of having glimpsed oneself in peripheral vision, in a position where there is no chance that it could have been a reflection. They are generally regarded as harbingers of bad luck. In some traditions, a doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death."

Eeesh! Illness or danger...to him or me? I do feel a sore throat possibly coming on... Guess it's a good thing I didn't see her myself :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that if you think you see your "doppelganger" - might have spelt that wrong- you should NEVER do a double-take. That would mean death. So, if you think you see this woman, never look twice! I'm not kidding, look it up!