Search This Blog

Saturday 13 March 2010

I can see clearly now...the money's gone...

So I'm pretty thankful for the joy that is overdraft. The other day I went to pick up my new glasses at the opticians. I had full intentions of using my Visa, with the hope of a massive refund on the taxes this year to pay off what I owe the tax man plus enough to cover that damn Visa (c'MON Baby Jesus, please make this happen!). First, they attempt to soil more from my insurance company but having had my appointment 80% covered I knew there wasn't going to be much more, and I was right - with only an additional $66 covered. So my grand total was $326.00. I guess it's worth it to see again. Without any further thought I hand over my Visa -- only to hear, "I'm sorry...that won't go through. It appears to be an expired card".

"SHIT!...now where did I even put my new one...???", I say to myself.

So then a little panic set in...did we have enough accumulated in Savings to cover this bill? I had noideawhatsoever, and albeit, was somewhat doubtful. I sucked in a breath and handed her the debit card and tried Savings. The dreaded INSUFF glared from the debit machine. "SHIT!"...it being over a week away from payday and a prior week of fairly whimsical spending I knew that I was already in my overdraft, and I had no idea how much. With another breath I asked her to attempt the debit again, this time choosing Chequing. Thank you, thank you, Baby Jesus - it went through. I raced home and immediately checked the balance, wondering now if I had owed the bank a fee for going over my OD limit. I made it but I was very, very, very close to the limit.

So now I'm still a week away from payday and very light in the wallet. If'n anyone asks me to dine out with them in the next while please don't be alarmed when I order a bowl of hot water and a side of 3 ketchup packets.

But I can see.

And I have absolutely no idea where that new Visa card is...

No comments: