Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 December 2008

A Christmas List

Apparently my last post wasn't long enough for some of my readers so I'm sitting here trying to think up something witty to say. Despite prompts from Craig to write something about g-spots or g-strings or some such thing, I thought it best to keep this blog a bit more g-rated (sorry Craig, I know this disappoints you greatly ;)). Herein, I will make a list of things that remind me of Christmas:

  • chips & dip -Ruffles with garlic flavored cream cheese dip specifically. Growing up, Mom & Dad never kept chips & dip in the house, but every year for Christmas and New Years it was always present. There were times I wouldn't be hungry but would eat it anyway because it was there (no sh!t, eh? Perhaps case in point for why I need to make some resolutions?) ....aaaanyway....
  • beer & clamato juice - Dad would always pour a glass of this every Christmas morning while we unwrapped presents. The thought of it makes me gag, but he liked it.

  • Brut cologne - speaking of Dad, each year I would always buy him a bottle of this to go with his present. Traditionally he was an Aqua Velva man, but on special occasions, he rolled out the good stuff...Brut, by Mennan. Hilarious, I know.

  • Dad's stuffing - any other stuffing I've ever tasted PALES in comparison to Dad's stuffing. He made it with potatoes, bread, diced up ham, mushrooms and onion...garlic and likely other seasonings....so moist, sooo delicious. Every Christmas morning, after the gifts were unveiled, we'd feast on stuffing omelets, bacon and toast, and you'd be full til suppertime. My mouth is salivating now just thinking of it. Todd seems to have the mixture down to a science now so I again look forward to a healthy serving tomorrow :).

  • Mr. Bean's Christmas - no holiday season is complete without watching the hilarity that is Mr. Bean at Christmastime. Without question, the turkey scene is my favorite.

  • artifical trees - I know they 'aren't the same'. I know it's all about how a "Christmas tree smells"...but to this day the only thing that I can recall about Christmas with a real tree was being ill. Every year I'd be laid out on the couch with a bucket by my side because I'd be a puking mess. The year we got the artificial tree I suddenly was upright and puke-free. We assume that I may have been allergic to the real thing...and I'm not really ready to test the theory.

  • the homemade elf- Todd made this craft in kindergarten or grade 1 I believe. It's a little green elf with the eyes and lips colored in crayon. It's cut out and the limbs are secured with brads so they move. Dad hung it on the wall every year, and every year he'd insist that Cathy had made it. Every year we'd correct him, but alas, he kept believin'. It's obvious that it was Todd's handiwork. Anything Cathy would have constructed that long ago would've long since deteriorated from age ;). Todd still puts it on the wall as part of the Christmas decor to this day.
What are some of the tell-tale signs of Christmas for you?

No comments: