Search This Blog

Monday 8 September 2008

This is what I did on the weekend

Friday night, Chris took me to supper at the ODP so we could be there as other Great Hobbies staff stopped by to say good-bye to Warren. He's heading to the big city of TO, and they had a little send-off for him there. Good luck, fella - I'm sure you'll do fantastic there! Good bye, and travel safely.

After the ODP we then headed to Dromore to the Pepperoni Palace; Kim and Kevin were having some people over for a few drinks. It also just happened to be Kimberley's birthday. Heather & Keith took in a Wii system, as well as a Rockband system, which easily kept us amused until it was very, very late.

First, Chris & Heather try out the Wii boxing game.

Then, the Rockband system took a large priority:

I posed here with the guitar but only tried actually playing it once, and failed, miserably. I took the liberties of being the band singer every other time I had a turn in the game. The game could really help a person's ego, too...giving me a 98% score for singing "Wanted Dead or Alive"! In retrospect, and after hearing a snippet of a video that Chris taped of me singing "Creep", I beg to differ, and will continue only singing in the confines of my car or shower :).
Kim, the resident rockSTAR & birthday girl at the helm of the guitar. I think she liked the drums better, though.
Kevin instructs Kim on how to improve the guitar experience - "It's all in the strum". Chris is like a kid in a candy store as he preps for the drums.
Heather sings us a tune....and Sherri & Keith look on, enthralled by the exquisite talent in the room. I didn't get a picture of it, but I truly feel that the highlight of the evening was Heather & my rendition of "Ballroom Blitz".

Sunday, the aftershocks of Hurricane Hanna swept through the maritimes (by the time it came near us it was a tropical storm). According to today's news, the Island received up to 90 millimeters of rain in some places - 25 millimeters per hour when the rain was at its peak torrential downpour. Sunday evening, Chris & I took a drive to see some of the flooding:

Here is a pciture of someone's front yard:
This is an area in Cornwall where the culvert was washed out. I couldn't get down lower to take a better picture - but notice the sidewalk? ....that's all that's left in that section...just the concrete of the sidewalk; you could hear earth falling into the water underneath it. Needless to say, a large section of the road was closed, and a detour was needed this morning.
This is someone else's side/back yard. Apparently, the water in this part of Cornwall was 15 feet deep ??? (according to a passerby).
The picture is dark - but if you look really close you can see the level of the water by looking at the immersed shed.
The intersection between Lwr Malpeque Rd & Old Moore Crt.
And this is an overview of the same intersection from the overpass above it. It gives you a better picture of just how much rain accumulated in that area. Crazy!
So it was a wet & soggy weekend for a lot of people, and there is photographic evidence to prove it! This would be another time where I'm not so depressed that we live in a mini-home, with no basement to worry about. Chris did find some water accumulating in the furnace intake...which is concerning. We'd best get that looked at before the cold weather. I hope you all managed to stay dry.

No comments: