Search This Blog

Friday 13 June 2008

Brotherly & Sisterly Love

I grew up in a family of 4 kids - 1 older sister, and two brothers, one older and one younger. My older sister left home when I was quite young, so I don't have a lot of memories of her living at home with us - I do remember, though, crying one night when Mom & Dad went out to a party and left her to babysit. She always got mad at me for snooping in her room - really, I did look up to her, and liked to look at all her 'grown up' stuff. I may have tried on her shoes and stuff...but I really don't remember.

I have always gotten along great with my older brother . That is, aside from the day I came home and told Mom that he'd said the F-word on the way back home from school. He insisted it was just , 'frig', and maybe it was, but I insisted it was the other one, and of course, Mom believed me, and he got in sh!t for it. I didn't intentionally want to get him into trouble - I really did think he said the bad word. I can remember 'bonding' with him watching The Six Million Dollar Man, and burping and farting contests with him. He always won, of course.

My younger brother is 2 years my junior. Occasionally, we'd have a squabble or two. Ok, ok - for the better part of our formative years we fought like cats and dogs. It was like a bad relationship, really - when it was good, it was really really good. When it was bad, it was brutal. It's kind of embarrassing to go to school with a black eye and tell people your 'little' brother gave it to you. However, there were other times where we'd played together so well. We had two stuffed bears we called Corduroy and Benji . Corduory was a little blue bear that Todd 'inherited' one day he and Dad were out shopping at Loblaws and the maintenance man had found it and gave it to him. Benji was a dog with a big fat belly and velvety soft ears. Mom & Dad brought him back for me when they had gone on a trip to Ottawa. I used to tie his ears up and pretend he was Fats Domino (on account of his big belly), and make him sing "Blueberry Hill". Todd and I would set up 'house' in two old boxes that we made into their trailers with j-cloth bedding and Barbie-sized food & kitchenware. I think we even made cars for them to hitch up to the trailers. We'd play for hours. Corduory and Benji even had their own radio show where we'd play "DJ" and then play music tapes (usually Journey, Rush, Loverboy and the like), and set up interviews. There are still tapes somewhere of these 'shows'.

In honor of 'brother and sisterly love' I give you this:

http://www.break.com/index/brother-angry-after-mean-prank.html

No comments: