Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 August 2009

Donkey ridin'....

If you're an avid reader of "My Happy Place" you've heard my Dad being mentioned before. If you're just discovering this little neck of the internet woods then I'll indulge you for a moment...

Dad was in the Navy --which meant for the most part of my younger years I grew up without a dad...being that he was always travelling at sea, and at some times, for extended periods of time. Family was one of the most important things to Dad, however, so even while away, he did his best to stay in contact with us, through postcards and letters. He used to draw me a little map with a "you're here", "Daddy's here" and had a little ship drawn at his point. I still have the letters and postcards. The letters are almost falling apart now with age... One of the postcards had a picture of a donkey's face. If I'd ever see a donkey or a picture of one I'd fondly recall the postcard, and that part of my childhood memories, and fond remembrances of my Dad...

That is, til this past weekend.

I have a whooole new 'memory' for donkeys now, I'm afraid.

Sunday, Chris and I took a very impromptu journey to the Moncton Zoo. It was a very warm day, and we'd arrived after feeding time, so for the most part, we saw a lot of lazy, sleepy animals. I marvelled at the big kittys in all of their gracious glory. I ooh'd and ahh'd over the little monkeys and the cute lemurs (two of which were cuddling, possibly a mother/child combo). And, I just happened to see a whoooole lot more of donkey life than I really needed to.

(you totally know where this is going, don't you?)

It was like a train wreck...you know you shouldn't stare...but... you just can't help yourself.

Let's just say that, erm...there might possibly be a few more donkeys grazing the lawn the next time we visit the zoo. It was quick and dirty and there was no cuddle time...the male donkey simply going back to grazing, um, after releasing himself. Typical male, no?

No comments: