Search This Blog

Friday 11 February 2011

"“A logo should look just as good in 15-foot letters on top of company headquarters as it does one sixteenth of an inch tall on company stationery.”*

A "logo" is defined as "a graphic representation or symbol of a company name, trademark, abbreviation, etc., often uniquely designed for ready recognition".  They make good business sense.  A simple idea that sticks in the public mind and eye, right?  Unmistakeable are the logos for McDonalds or Nike...and regardless of language, the whole world knows what those companies represent. If I was travelling in a foreign country I'd easily be able to spot the nearest McD's for my Big Mac fix a mile away.  God bless those golden arches, I say.

I'm sure there are many graphic designers out there with heavy pockets having dreamed up the perfect, simple, unique designs for a variety of crafts or lines. Sometimes, however, these representations go a-foul... Now, perhaps they're created purposely and the right people signing on the bottom line to have them go forward aren't looking as closely as they should.  Or, perhaps they don't have the mind of a 12-year-old boy, like some of us out there, and don't see the alternative 'meaning' that they might represent.  Regardless, the results can be remarkably funny.  To see what I mean, view this Top 10:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/logo-design-gone-wrong/#

My personal favourites would have to be the Kids Exchange and Mega Flicks.  Bravo, gentleman, bravo!

* Steven Gilliatt quote

1 comment:

Lana said...

Have to say I love the Catholic Church Youth Commission and the Pediatric Centre logos! Does this mean I also have the mind of a 12-yr old boy??? (or worse - a middle-aged perv!)