Search This Blog

Sunday 11 July 2010

On blogging

Just because someone starts a blog with world wide access does not mean that it will be around forever. Hell, I could pull the plug on My Happy Place at any moment, and it would gone into cyberspace. I don't have any intentions of doing so, mind you, but who knows? It's a sad day when I go to pull up a "favourited" site and I'm met with a "not found" message. These people, some whom I've not met, have become 'friends' to me, and I miss them.

So, Amber, why the blog? I don't post my thoughts in a weird 'voyeur' sort of way. It's not the the fact that anyone can see what I type if they 'happen' upon my prose during a random search for bad tv or complaints about health ailments. I don't post things in hope that they will induce dozens of comments from strangers. I primarily started this, and continue it, as a means of documentation and an avenue in which I could try to hone my writing skills. By putting it out there "live", it does leave me with some bit of accountability, too. I mean, I can't go months in between postings if I'm going to have any 'followers', am I? I knew from the start that I had a few faithfuls and you all do a great job at keeping me on task ;). I keep the blog open to the public because it's really neat 'meeting' new people through this venue. And, I have to admit that deep down part of me has a small, small wish that I will be discovered, and my boring life will be put out there on the big screen, a la Julie/Julia Project ;). I kid, I kid. Or do I? ;).

The whole blogging 'community' is something you can't understand unless you do have a blog. There is something that is so exciting when you see a new comment from someone who hasn't commented before. Someone you may not even know - but, they took the time to read your thoughts, and took it even farther to post a little something back to you. Shout out to two of my most recent commenters -- Shar and Leah! Thanks for coming on board! How'd you get here? I do hope you'll stay!

And, another shout out to dear Sizzle who's popped in a few times. I've been reading her blog for years. I can't remember what blog I was reading, or how I found it (sometimes I would do searches on blogger for people matching my interests, that must have been it). This girl happened to have a blog that Sizzle also read, and she wrote a comment in one of the posts. The comment had so much depth, concern, and smarts that I immediately clicked her name and was routed to her own blog - and I've been reading her ever since (check her out -- she's awesome!).

A huge hello and thank you for reading to the few silent readers, who email me or tell me they've been reading. It really means a lot that you do come back here to read my mundane drivel ;).

And, finally, a shout out to Martha, and Heidi, I don't know if you read this anymore, but, if you do -- I miss your blogs. I still have your old sites bookmarked and come back to them, from time to time, in the off chance that you've decided to open them up again. Drop me a line to let me know how you're doing.

I think I've babbled on enough (this is what you get on a rainy Sunday morning). Just, thanks. Thanks for reading - thanks for being here.

No comments: