Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 July 2010

all Matt, all the time....

Saturday night I had the chance to see Great Big Sea in town with those awesome passes I alluded to in the previous post. However, on the same night GBS was going to be in town, Matt Andersen was going to be in Summerside, as part of their Outdoor Concert Series. Matty clearly won out, and thanks to ColleenB and her sister & niece, I even had company (on account of Chris not being able to go). Thanks Bovaird ladies for allowing me to tag along :).

Before heading out I diligently checked the weather forecast to ensure I was dressed appropriately. The low was supposed to be 16 or 18 - there was no possibility of precipitation until the overnight hours, and the wind gusts were only 20kms. Having sat out on the deck for a bit earlier in the day, I knew it was 'summer hot' out - and expected as much til the sun went down at least. I wore my new capri pants that have the roll down, allowing pant length (truly the smartest choice when attending an outdoor concert in the Maritimes, I thought). I had a tank top on, and had packed a little 3/4 length sweater to go over top the tank when the sun fell, and another light jacket (no hood) as a "just in case" option if it really fell to the 16 degree mark.

I arrived at Colleen's sister, Barbara's, house and from there we piled into Colleen's Corolla, first stopping in Stanley Bridge to pick up Julia, Barbara's daughter. We stopped in K-town for supper at the Frosty Treat (mmmm Frosty Treat). It was so windy I had goosebumps, so I promptly donned the 3/4 length sweater. After too much food we then headed to our destination in Summerside (making record time, if I might add), settling ourselves in true Bovaird-fashion -- in the front row :). It became overcast...and the winds were whipping (20 kms my arse!)...and it was COLD! We laughed at Barbara's packing job -- she looked like she was ready for a winter outdoor concert, but might I just add that I wasn't laughing too long when she offered up a few extra fleece blankets my way! It did spit rain a few times, but thankfully, there wasn't any "big" rain. I had packed my umbrella like a responsible packer -- but it really would have impeded the view of those behind the front row ;).

Meaghan Blanchard hit the stage first as opener for Matt. She had a full band with her, and it had been the first time I'd heard her with a full band, and I loved it! I will definitely continue to see her shows when I have the opportunity. I especially liked her 2nd song, "Tired" (listen to it here) - one she said was an oldie that she was bringing back. It had a real bluesy feel, yet kept her sweetness at the same time. Bravo, Meaghan! This girl is going to go FAR.

After a great set by Meaghan, the big man hit the stage, with some old favourites like "Angel Gets the Blues" and "Ain't No Sunshine", and even his rendition of "I'm on Fire". He also performed a few from his new Piggyback album, including, "Hold Me with Both Hands", and "Devil's Bride". As an added treat, Matt also brought Meaghan back out to have her help with "So Gone Now". A killer, killer show! With every performance of Matt's that I've ever seen, he gives 150% of himself and this recent performance was no different. I know I sound like a broken record, but if you've not had the opportunity to see this man in action...you havvvvve to. Really, you have no idea what you're missing!

Despite the cool breezes, I had a terrific time at the concert. Both Matt and Meaghan were amazing!

No comments: