Search This Blog

Saturday 3 July 2010

An evening with Cirque

Part of Chris' "payment" for doing the photo gig on the waterfront for this year's Summerfest were a couple of passes to the events. It was nice for him to get two, because obviously he couldn't use one himself, so when given to me, I could then in turn offer out the second to have a 'date'. I am not one of those types of people who is overly comfortable roaming around crowds and functions by my lonesome. Chris says I should "work on that". Pffft. Whatever. Anywhooo...so last night Lana and I took in the Cirque du Soleil performance, after a delicious shawarma supper at Cedars. Cirque takes place at dusk, so before the show, we took in some of the busker's show, Sandland and got acquainted with the folks at the Smoothie bar. We each enjoyed a fruity smoothie with a dash (ok, truth be told, two dashes) of our favourite spirit, and then headed back to the concert area to cop a squat (stand) for the event. It would appear that the audience all enjoyed themselves - apart from the little old lady who was unimpressed with Kowboy Mike standing in her view (she actually slapped him in the face at one point, apparently - I missed it).

This had been my first time seeing Cirque, and I must admit, they put on a very impressive performance and I'm glad that I had an opportunity to see it. I encourage you all to try to get down tomorrow night to see their final performance. The water part was my favourite. If you can't afford a ticket to the show, go on down to Queen street at about 9:15pm to catch their free parade!

Some pics of the night:
Sandland this year showcased the festival's sponsors. Pepsi.

And Superstore. This was too cool -- look at the detail -- the man's face is all different vegetables -- even carrot fingers. So creative!

Bell Aliant. I'm not sure what the monkey is supposed to represent.

And WestJet. The plane had 3 seats just ready for your portraits. Of COURSE Lana and I had to indulge. We sorta thought one of the other passers-by might offer to take our photo together on the plane, but no one did. Perhaps if we had been under the age of 12 or something, it would have made a difference? ;)
So, we each had our turn. The Queen's wave was my idea. To honour her visit to the Maritimes, of course. :)

Then it was time for Cirque. They start their performance off with a parade down the streets of Charlottetown. It wouldn't be possible to be at the parade, and then make it back down to the stage area to see the rest of the show, so they had a jumbo screen there for all to see the parade.
There was a lot more fire in the parade than the stage.

The stage; this chick walked in stilts the whole performance.

And the final bow. Bravo!!

Did you see it? What did you think?

No comments: