Search This Blog

Thursday 24 December 2009

Have a holly, jolly Christmas....

Wouldn't you know it, just when I thought I was 'done' I realized I wasn't quite that close. Tuesday night I made a quick stop home after work to have supper to fuel up for the impending crowd fight, and went onward to a few more stores. After having wrapped everything up on the weekend and seeing Chris' prezzies under the tree I thought I had scrimped on him pretty badly - especially seeing as two of the few boxes there contained things he really won't like or enjoy (you know those essential things that everyone needs but would never put on their Santa list). So, my main goal of the Tuesday venture was to stop by a few places for a few more things for him. I succeeded rather nicely - and will elaborate more when things have been unveiled :). I also managed to snag something that is wrapped under the tree for "Chris and Amber" from "Santa", that I absolutely LOVE!

So with that, I can finally say that I am officially DONE. *Phew*

Done, that is, with the present-buying, wrapping, and that sort of readiness. What I wasn't finished with was groceries and spirits. Last night, I braved Sobeys and the beer store... This is where the post could go sour.

It's amazing what stress during the holidays can do to people.

"Pardon me, sir, you're heading toward me. Um, HELLO sir! I'm right here! Excuse me while I go out of my own way to avoid your smashing your cart right into mine!"... "Um, ma'am...would you and your three children mind making way for my little cart? You're taking up the ENTIRE AISLE". I literally had to go back to the same aisle three times to get what I needed on account of there being just no semblance of organized traffic or thru-way. And it never failed, my entire shopping trip at Sobeys, I ended up behind the same family of ladies - it looked like 2 adult daughters with their elderly mom in tow. I think they were British. British Mum stood in the middle of every freaking aisle. I had to say, "excuse me" to her FOUR times (four different aisles). I should have invited her over for tea. As I headed toward the check out I walked by the same mother with the three children walking aimlessly down the main aisle by the checkouts mumbling to herself, "this just isn't good. It's not good at all!" A rather impatient couple butted toward my checkout girl with a, "How much is this?" before I was even able to key in my pin number to complete my transaction.

I finally made my way out of there only to be thrown into moving car traffic akin to the grocery cart traffic. Three people cut me off and I was nearly side-swiped TWICE when people attempted to make the merge lane longer than it really was. Thankful to still have my life, I made my way to the liquor store, filled my basket with beer, wine, Baileys & a little bottle of spiced rum, and then back home to clean the kitchen and make ice for the Christmas spirits. I'll ignore the fact that my dear Christopher complained* about the fact that there was only a case of 12 beer waiting, and OMG....."I got cans??!!". I'll not bother writing about my utter lack of Christmas spirit at that very moment. Oh, maybe I just did?

*He insists that his tone wasn't complaining. He insists that I only 'inferred' complaint due to the fact that it was at the tail-end of a SH!TTY day and a SH!TTY night of shopping. Whatever.

After several cups of coffee with a splash of Baileys I'm in much better spirits.

No comments: