Search This Blog

Thursday 31 December 2009

2009: A Retrospective

It completely blows my mind that 2009 is at a close. For some reasons, I cannot wait to say good-bye to 2009 and welcome a new year, a clean slate, and a fresh start. I do hope that as we embark upon a new year that it brings prosperity, happiness and much love to all. However, there were some highlights to my year as well - and I have some happy memories from this year that will undoubtably last me a lifetime and then some. Here's a retrospective of the good, the bad, and the ugly from the last 364 days:

  • January: I kicked off my 'healthy eating resolution', and am happy to report that it was a resolution that I did stick with, and, aside from hopping on the scale post-Christmas-indulging, I've kept off approximately 23-25ish pounds! (those last 4lbs tend to leave and come back at whim. Perhaps it's just the difference between a good poop and not having a good poop ;)). All jokes aside, I am proud to say that I'm really consciously trying to eat more healthfully. The blog helped, but I know deep down I must add exercise to the mix, and I still have a huge road ahead of me yet. Perhaps a segway to changes to come for 2010? We'll see.
  • February: We were treated to a fantastic show at the Confederation Centre - Stuart MacLean's Vinyl Cafe, starring the wonderful Matt Andersen, no less :). We also landed ourselves a pair of snowshoes, and had our first opportunity for a little shoein' in the woods. Segway to 2010 --more shoein' in the woods :).
  • March: We laughed ourselves silly at the John Pinette show, and the better part of the month was filled with open-housing. As it turns out, we really weren't in the position to take our house hunt any further than looking, but we did have fun doing so. I'm hopeful that our two differing styles & wishes for a home do manage to gel a bit by the time we go at it again ;). I'm unsure if 2010 holds high expectations when it comes to housing, though.
  • April: People will laugh when they read this, but I think that it's rather momentous and worth mentioning...a farewell to one of my all-time favourite hours of television with a good-bye to ER. I still miss it. April was also a milestone month for me; I'm happy to announce that another successsful year of regular blogging is behind me, as we celebrated 2 years of blogging together. Thanks for sticking around ;)
  • May: A little sadness came into our lives in May with the passing of our dear friend and neighbor George MacKenzie. It's still not the same without you, George. We still think about you often, and miss you a lot. I got Chris a box of clementines for Christmas this year and said it was to thank him for shoveling the walk for me - in dedication to you. Your home is now in the hands of a nice girl. She looks respectable, and I think she'll give your old home lots of TLC. Also in May, more tragedy with the terrible fire that destroyed Sherwood Drug Mart and Maid Marian's diner. Both icons to Charlottetown and local businesses. I'm happy to report that both are full tilt into rebuilding with openings to come very shortly.
  • June: Hollywood lost a few famous faces. They say it happens in threes - without much time between, the world bid adieu to Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett & Michael Jackson. June also brought great gladness to me, personally, with a thrill of a lifetime opportunity to see my BON BON! Bon Jovi rocked Magnetic Hill in Moncton, and we were there with big smiles on our faces the whole time. What made it even more special was spending it with great friends. Thanks again, Mark and Rhonda for a true "time of my life" :).
  • July: It truly was a rockin' summer. With Bon Jovi in June, July was celebrated with more music with the Festival of Lights where we had a chance to see Simple Plan, Theory of a Deadman and Daughtry. We also welcomed a visit from our dear friend JulieJ coming to see her friends and family all the way from the Great White North. I'm so sad that it'll be two years until your next visit *sniff*.
  • August: Lions, winds and guitars, oh my! We took an impromptu jaunt to Moncton for the day to visit the Moncton Zoo. Hurricane Bill tore through the Maritimes - and didn't pack quite as much of a punch as was predicted, but it was a fiercely windy day, nevertheless. And our biggest highlight of the month was the Indian River Festival and front-row tickets to see Matt Andersen. I've not seen him play in a better venue. Here's hoping we bear witness to another go at the church in 2010's festival.
  • September: Thomas and Bobbie-Jo tied the knot, and Chris and I were so happy to be a part of their special day. It was an honor and a privilege to see their pledge and witness their love joining. They're a prime example of what true happiness looks like. We were lucky to have some time with Cody & Jool who were visiting from Calgary. We miss you guys terribly! Thanks for the laughs :). And, on a sad note, September brought the passing of Dale, Belinda's step-father. I say the word 'step' loosely, because their love wouldn't have been any stronger had their been blood between them. He put up a long struggle, and the only comfort is that he is out of pain. He will be sorely missed. Patrick Swayze also lost his battle with cancer in September. A heart-breaking loss, for certain.
  • October: The Fall Flavours Festival was another hit in Charlottetown this year, and this year, Chris and I took in a cooking class with Chef Michael. It was fun and informative, and it also planted the seed in Chris to aspire to cook like a champ! I've been happily grazing on his variety of tried recipes. I'm a lucky gal. It's a good thing that we have that 'quid pro quo' relationship cemented; he cooks; I clean :). Simple. We also helped stimulate the economy of local artists, having the opportunity to see live performances of Dave Gunning with Jessica Rhaye, Matt Andersen with Mike Stevens, and a fantastic performance in New Brunswick with Matt and friends, including Irish Mythen, the Hupman Brothers, Ian Sherwood, and Thom Swift. Unforgettable on all counts.
  • November: Falling in line with the music of October, we welcomed the chance to attend a house concert with the lovely Irish Mythen. It was the perfect way to enjoy a favourite artist. And, on a sad note, we said good-bye to our dear bunny, Homer. RIP little guy. We miss you.
  • December: December was a month of togetherness, family and a few challenges, with the unexpected health problems faced by Chris' grandfather. He's still holding his own right now, and is surrounded by family who love him. His final days will be full of love, and that's all we, or anyone else for that matter, can ask for. As hard as it was to witness an integral part of a family get sick, the opportunity for so much togetherness truly helped point out the real meaning of Christmas.
Wishing all of you a safe and happy NYE -- may 2010 be a special year for one and all.

No comments: