Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 December 2010

All's well that ends well

Every now and then, life teaches you a lesson. A hard lesson that ends up being a kick in the junk - so much so that you wanna kick yourself in your own junk because you feel so stupid. I had one of those little lessons this past weekend.

Some back story: I'm a hoarder. Ok, well that might be harsh. You don't have to walk on top of boxes to move between rooms in my house. My sinks are not full of garbage, nor is my bathtub. So I'm not a true "hoarder" in the sense that is in TLC's eyes, but I do tend to hold onto things, ie, gift cards, 2-for-1 coupons, etc, for 'tough times'. Have coupons and cards expired before I had to use them? Oh yes. It's a piss off, but, it's my own fault, and I take full responsibility. I oughta be more diligent with that sorta thing, I know. Most of what I lost was in the low denomination value, but let's face it, in this day and age, even the loss of $10 is worth mourning. I can't tell you how happy I was when I heard that there was now an official ruling by the government that cards purchased after Sept 2010 would no longer incur an expiration. I mean, it makes sense....a gift card was paid for in cash. Cash is cash. Cash doesn't expire, so why did gift cards ever have an expiry before? You all know the answer to that. It's because in this world, there's a whoolllllle lotta dumb people like me who fail to use them, therefore the company reaps the benefit of making money for nothing.

Ok, segway back to my story.

I received a rather substantial Visa gift card through an incentive program at my work. I had a plan to use this card for Christmas shopping so I tucked it away safely in my craft room until it was time to make a purchase. Sunday, in between toiling away making the Christmas cards, I just happened to open the packaging that contained said Visa card. I literally almost vomited right then and there. I saw spots and I felt faint. The date was December 5, 2010 when I peeled the packaging away. To my horror, the expiry date on my substantial Visa gift card had run its course...ending November 2010.

I immediately called the 800# on the back of the card. I explained my plight. I admitted my own stupidity and my own responsibility. I prayed for a miracle. I begged for a grace period. Surely to GAWD with only 5 days past expiry they could do something for me - even if it was to take a loss on the dollar amount. But no. Point blank, the card expired, therefore I was S.O.L. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I reached another unsympathetic ear. I was devastated. I felt like I had been robbed. I have never, ever felt so stupid in my life. And, I felt very sorry for myself. And, I'll admit, there were a few tears, but I'll blame PMS on that.

I went to a contact at work the next day, hoping something could possibly be done by the company. My contact went to her contact...unfortunately, I met yet another dead end. A co-worker insisted I keep up the fight. She googled gift card Visas and expiry...and lo and behold, on the Visa.ca website, under their FAQ section, it's cited that if a Visa gift card expires with a balance, there is an option to replace it for a fee. I felt a renewed sense of fight build inside of me. I sent a message via the reward company's website. After I got off work, I called them back again, this time citing the information I found, and requesting to order a replacement card. Once again, I was met with an unsympathetic ear, and another round of, "I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do for you". My rage continued. I suggested that the website I found with the FAQ be looked at. Apparently she didn't have internet access.

Suddenly, it hit me...this was the reward company who issued the card for my workplace. The card itself was a Citizens Bank gift Visa....perhaps I should be dealing with them? So a phone call and 3 transfers later, I was met with a very friendly, sympathetic, ear, and I currently have an order out for a replacement card for my substantial expired Visa gift card, for a small fee of $20. It was like Christmas came early for me.

Persistence pays. When it comes to money lost --- fight for it. I still won't believe this chapter in self-idiocy has ended until I see the replacement card in my mailbox, but I do have a small sense of victory. And you can be sure I'm going to pay careful attention to expiry dates from now on.

No comments: