Search This Blog

Thursday 23 December 2010

a humbling dose of reality

Every now and then life likes to smack you over the head with a bit of a reality check. While all of us are bitching and moaning about getting our presents bought and wrapped, and cursing the long lineups and backed up traffic, someone is now mourning the loss of a mother, a daughter, wife, sister... An unfortunate tragedy took place yesterday. A young woman aged 39 years passed away very unexpectedly. She leaves behind a husband and two small children. 3 days before Christmas. What is supposed to be the happiest time of the year will now be marred by sadness and grief every single year for them. My heart goes out to this poor family, and I wish them peace and the comfort of their family and friends as they cope with this tragic loss.

I didn't know this woman, but her death leaves a somber reminder of my own mortality...and it points out the importance of living each day to its fullest, and without regrets. So what if the traffic is moving slow? So what if I don't have that perfect gift wrapped and ready under the tree? So what if the relentless winds kept me up the past few nights and I'm not feeling 100% because I'm so tired? I have my health. I have my family. I have my friends. I have my life.

Do me a favor...after reading this, go find someone you love one and give him or her a great big hug. Appreciate the great gifts that you have and during this holiday season never take for granted one single second that you have. Life is truly precious, and it could be taken away so suddenly that your whole world would shift...

2 comments:

Rhonda Bowlan said...

Oh Amber, you are so right. This made me cry...thank you for putting things into perspective...everyone needs to read this.

Anonymous said...

We are so very blessed, but fail to realize just how much until something like this makes you stop and think. Today I am grateful for all I have in my life. Tell someone how much they mean to you.....you well never regret it.