Search This Blog

Monday 31 May 2010

Family Time

Because Chris' granddad passed away in the dead of winter, burial services were delayed until the spring. Friday of last week, Chris and I made the trek back over to Truro and joined his family for the service at the cemetary. The simple service hopefully brought some closure for everyone. We ended up staying in NS for the weekend, overnight at his Nannie's Friday and Saturday night, returning last night. When we added a visit with his Grammie at the nursing home in Stellarton, and a visit with his aunt in River John, it was just about 11:00pm before we made it back to the 'hood. To say that I'm tired would be an understatement, but I was glad to be there for Chris, and it was really nice to have so much family time.

Fortunately, the only real 'sad' moment of the weekend was the graveside service. We will forever miss Big Charlie, but he will live on in our hearts, and his spirit was with us as we drove around the town he so dearly loved. It still doesn't quite seem real that he's gone, and I know my own feelings are completely paling in comparison to those of Chris and the rest of the Wilkinsons. Watch over us all, Big Charlie...we love you...xo.

It had been a long time since we'd last been around to visit Chris' Grammie (his mom's mom). Staunchly firm in her beliefs, her biggest concern was when Chris and I were going to 'tie the knot'. If she asked once, she asked 25 times - even offering us $100 to go toward the wedding, and another $50 toward the ring. As we hugged her to say good-bye she looked me in the eyes, and said, "I can't get nothing out of him!". I grinned, and said, "Neither can I!".

Chris' Aunt Denise (his mom's sister) lives in River John. We opted to drive the Sunrise Trail to head for home, and as her place is on the route home, we stopped in for a surprise visit. She has a lovely home right by the river, and we ended up staying a little later than planned, in awe of the many hummingbirds flitting about, as well as a cute little groundhog that came to visit.

We took pictures. I'll come back to add them in the post when I have a chance. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, filled with fun times and family time.

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. ~Jane Howard

No comments: