Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 January 2010

Recap

So it's all over with. We left here Thursday with Shawn in tow. Family gathered at the Grand-W homestead. We went through old family photos, readying the memory boards for the service. I was given the opportunity to meet a few of Chris' cousins & other relatives that I'd not had the chance to meet yet, which was nice. The service was held on Friday afternoon. It was a simple service, but I think Big Charlie was honoured very well. He was a war veteran, so the first part of the service was done by the Legion. Each vet placed a poppie into a bowl and saluted the family. It was very touching. I think he would have approved of the service. Afterword, we all headed back to the Grand-W homestead again, where the seal on a saved bottle of Crown Royal was broken, and the whole family had a shot, to toast Big Charlie's memory -- something that he asked that the family do when he passed away.

We headed home Saturday night after supper, so it was fairly late by the time we landed home. We pretty much headed to bed after catching up a bit on our email and FB, and a few chin scratches for the cats. It was nice getting to sleep in my own bed I will selfishly admit. Sunday afternoon we went to the movies, catching Avatar. Admittedly, it was not a movie that I had any intention of seeing, and I didn't go with any glee. Surprisingly though, it was entertaining enough to hold my interest, and I found myself cheering for the 'good guys'. We grabbed a bite at Boston Pizza for supper and then back home to vegg (ie, pass out on the couch until it was bedtime).

That brings you up to date. Chris is doing well - the support and kindness everyone has bestowed upon him has been overwhelming, humbling, and has helped so much. Thank you to all, for everything...xoxo.

Speaking of Chris, his birthday is coming up fast! It's this coming Friday. We're trying to work the kinks out of getting a gathering ready, so stay tuned to your inboxes for more details.

Happy Hump!

No comments: