Search This Blog

Sunday 31 January 2010

Bad Bad Boys!

We've been having unseasonably mild temperatures and a lack of snow this winter season in the Maritimes (which I partly blame on my purchase of not one, but two pairs of winter boots, but I digress). Friday, however, we were inundated with a 'weather event' that dumped nearly 20 cms of snow on us, and the upcoming week's temps are gonna be C-O-L-D (seasonably cold, but nothing like we've had thus far). I'm not complaining. It is winter. I do look forward to a bit of snowshoein' too...and with the new boots, my feet will stay warm :). Plus, there's nothing more awesome than snuggling down deep under the duvet on a cold night.

Mother Nature almost wreaked havoc on my Friday night plans, however (not to mention that I didn't get to enjoy Friday as a 'snow' day, either). Luckily Chris enjoys playing in the snow and winter driving more than I do, so we did get down to the Island Artists for Haiti going on at the waterfront. It had been going on from 5pm onward, with non-stop music. The storm was going on pretty good so we didn't leave the house til after 9. By the time we landed there, we caught the tail end of Ninth Hour, saw Kim Albert, the Grass Mountain Hobos, and of course the reason we were there....HAYWIRE! Haywire signifies a huge part of my life, the 80's, local pride, and one of the major crushes from my mid-teen years. They put on a phenomenal show, and I'm so glad to have had the chance to be a part of the crowd cheering them on (til I was hoarse, if I might add). It was a great time, for an even greater cause -- complete profits going to the Haiti Relief fund. All the artists donated their time and talent. All the staff working the event also donated their time. It's truly something we as Islanders have to be proud of. I'm glad Mother Nature didn't put a big wrench in the event. Bravo to all of the organizers, the talent and anyone else who put in their time and effort into making it the huge success that it was.

No comments: