Search This Blog

Friday 30 October 2009

A night without Greys

The show last night was sensational!! Prior to, Chris and I had supper at Mavors - I had the Greek pizza and Chris had the salmon. The dessert menu was too enticing not to indulge in too, so I opted for a slice of the Caramilk cheese cake. Chocolate, caramel & cheese cake...you can't mess up with a combination like that. The only disappointing thing I can mention about the dinner/dessert was the poor service. A cup of coffee, even a fill on our water glass would have been appreciated...anyway. It was nice to have a place to enjoy supper and then just head right to our seats just the same, and the food tasted good so it's all good. The discomfort of the theatre seats was the only other disappointment, but that was soon forgotten when the marvels hit the stage.

Mike started the evening with a few solo songs. The sounds he can make come out of a harmonica really don't seem possible...but yet, he does anyway. He truly captured a whole new appreciation of the harmonica for me. The audience was in awe.

Next Matt took the spotlight for a few solo numbers, playing a few old favourites like, "So Gone Now", "When My Angel Gets the Blues ", and a rockin' ,"Tell Me", in which I swear he did his damndest to break a string, but the guitar managed to escape it. Again, the audience was in awe.

After a short break, both marvels returned to the stage and they played several new tunes off the Piggyback album. The dynamic the two share is amazing. They had the audience laughing (I shall never be able to listen to "Livin' in Sarnia" again without thinking about french fries), and I think a large number wiped away tears during the powerful "Going Home". A standing ovation led to a soulful encore of "Ain't No Sunshine", and the only thing wrong about it all was it had to end. Thanks Matt & Mike for a fantastic performance!

Unfortunately, cameras weren't allowed during the performance, but I did snap a few shots after the show:
(Yes the one with me is cropped - purposefully so on account of my stature making me look about 7 months pregnant).

Great night ;) I'll catch up on the Thursday night shows over the weekend!

No comments: