Search This Blog

Friday 17 April 2009

Courtesy, Common or No?

A "thank you" is such a simple gesture ... so how come so many people don't bother saying it? Perhaps it's because I've worked in a customer service related field all my life, but it really grinds my gears when people don't even have the common courtesy to say 'thank you' after you've done something for them. A simple wave or nod would even suffice if I've gone out of my way to slow down and let you out in traffic when I could easily have just kept moving. If I've stopped in my tracks to hold the door open for you behind me why not acknowledge that I've done this for you? I understand that you may have had a bad day...there may be issues weighing on your mind that I can't even fathom... It just seems that common courtesy is lost in this day and age, and that's very, very sad.

However, today my faith in humanity was restored just a tad.

During our work day we're always entitled to a morning and afternoon 15 minute break. Due to the nature of the business we have to strictly stick to this 15 minute interval. I usually run downstairs, have a quick pee, and then grab my break snack (and if you've been following my other blog I've been cutting out the 'crap' since January, so by the time my break rolls around I *need* my food). Today was like any other day. I peed and went to get my snack out of the fridge. Upon opening the fridge I was met with a wave of sticky pop splashing down all over the floor underneath me, over my jeans, and all over the inside of the fridge. Some jacka$$ had left a nearly full, opened can of Pepsi on the door. Of course the motion of me opening it was enough to have the can tip and spew all over the place.

You know where this is going....Great...now I have to clean up this mess thanks to the jacka$$ who left it there, and I'm going to eat up my entire break time doing so (not to mention run the risk of not getting my break snack food in time which ultimately would result in an already cranky Amber being a more cranky Amber).

*queue the heavenly light and organ music*

Jane (who works in a different department and not on as rigid of a time schedule) comes over and says, "Amber I'm not so much tied to a schedule as you so you go ahead and enjoy your break and I'll clean this up for you". How freaking courteous was that!? Thank you so much Jane, you've got such a kind heart! You're generosity will come back to you threefold!

1 comment:

KellyAnne said...

We all love Jane :-)