Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 April 2009

8 on Idol

Who's the bald guy in the audience they keep panning over? Is it just me, or is he kinda creepy?

And now we're down to 8*, and the songs of their birth year...

*I watched tonight's show at Mummy's, so I will also include her thoughts for tonight's performance for your reading pleasure:

  • Danny Gokey -"Stand by Me" ~ With all the music choices of the 80's one would think he could've chosen a much better song for his voice. All along a fan of Danny's, I now sit and shake my head a little. He tried to exude an R&B flair, and I just didn't get it. Quote from Mummy: "The arrangement was piss-poor".
  • Kris Allen - "All She Wants to Do is Dance" ~ um...interesting arrangement...not his best, but I still think he's got what it takes to hold out for a bit longer. Mom wasn't as impressed: "That was totally, totally horrible".
  • Lil Rounds - I forget now what the song was, but it was a Tina Turner number, and Lil came waltzing out in her tight mini skirt and tall heels in her wanna-be-Tina performance. This isn't a mimic your idol competition is it? Well even if it was, she'd fail anyway. I think there's a fine line between conceit and confidence - and she's crossed it. Man she hate's criticism, doesn't she? Simon's quote sums up the performance for me when he said, "Ghastly copycat". Mom got her two-cents in as well: "Right Simon - time for her to go home".
  • Anoop Desai - "True Colors" ~ Is he shooting a Gap commercial after the show? Mom: "He actually sounds better than the rest". Personally, I give it a big yawn. Boooorrrrring.
  • Scott MacIntyre - "The Search is Over" ~ Ok...WHY in God's name would he choose to forgo the piano for this song and substitute the electric guitar instead?? He had a few moments where I didn't mind it, but that might have been because I actually do enjoy the song itself....and those high notes?? Jumpin' Jebus! Yeesh! Mom seems to be a fan though: "Well, I thought that was very nice".
  • Allison Iraheta - "I Can't Make You Love Me" ~ Bravo!! She's awesome. My only criticism is it would have been nice to see her show a bit more vulnerability in a song with that much emotion. Mom concurs on her awesomeness: "She was the best of the night!"
  • Matt Giraud - "Part-time Lover" ~ I'm glad he did well - I want to see him stay a bit longer. Mom had mixed emotions: "I didn't like it much". She then heard Randy's commentary, and then claimed, "I guess it was good then. I just didn't like the song".
  • Adam Lambert - "Mad World" ~ His lips glowing in the black light was rather creepy and very distracting. I do prefer his softer side to his theatrical side, I have to admit. Well done...still not sure if AI is the place for him though.... Mom, "Don't like him". She's a tough judge to impress! ;)
Bottom 3: Lil, Scott & Anoop. Going home: Scott.

1 comment:

Rhonda Bowlan said...

Man, you're good! You oughta be the 5th judge! I look forward to this post each week!