Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Stupid IS as stupid DOES

We're experiencing a mild "heat wave" round these here parts with the humidex-"feels like" temps into the high 30's and low 40's (Celcius, that is - that's just over 100 F for my American readers). I aim not to complain - because shortly I know that we'll be in the depths of winter and I won't be able to get my toes warm. And, let's be honest, we have an air conditioner...so aside from being a few dollars more in the hole to pay the electric bill, the heat hasn't had a chance to really 'bother' me a lot. *ducking*. Besides, I rarely complain about being cold. I can always don another sweater or a warmer pair of slippers. When this bodacious physique is hot though.....that's a whole other story.

Anyway. I digress. With the heat come fruit flies. I've been fairly diligent with my little fruit fly traps. There are many ways one can rid their home of fruit flies. I find that a small piece of fruit in a covered cup works really well (cover with a piece of saran, and then poke small holes in the saran so that the fruity stink entices the little effers inside. The trick is to make the holes small enough that they can't get themselves out, and they eventually die in the container).

Last night I learned two very important somethings. Something number 1: when constructing your own fruit fly trap, ensure that you use a cup that is DISPOSABLE. And, something number 2: never, ever, ever, EVER place your fruit fly trap inside a microwave oven and turn said oven on.

Oh the stank still haunts me.

See...last week's fly trap was made from one of my pretty Winnie-the-Pooh juice glasses...I wanted to salvage the glass....but, when I went to take a look I saw several fruit flies that had yet to reach their demise. Instead of leaving it be for a few more days and letting them die off I felt this need to clean the glass right away. I didn't want to tear off the saran wrap and risk the remaining 6-7 of them flying up into my face. I needed to kill them. I had a moment of "brilliance" just then, thinking, "I bet a few seconds in the microwave would do just fine".

And it did.

The flies died.

But that dank, rotting sliver of what used to be a banana when heated created a vomit-inducing-I-think-I'd-rather-have-something-defecate-in-my-mouth-than-smell-it-for-a-second-longer stink, that was worse than any other stink that I've ever, ever smelled. I think I truly may know what death smells like...why the CSI guys put smelly stuff under their noses. Oh.my.effing.merciful.Jebus. Never did I think I could ever experience anything that could rival the "incident"...but, I think it might have.

Yeah, so people, allow my blatant stupidity be YOUR guide. The only good thing? My house was just a-shining as I did my best efforts to rid it of the invading stench. I tried to microwave lemon juice. I then added vinegar. I then scoured and scrubbed every surface with pretty-smelling cleaner. I had every single scented candle burning. I'm happy to report that it seems my efforts have paid off. I am, however, a little afraid to open the microwave door.

No comments: