Search This Blog

Saturday 4 September 2010

Earl, huh? I never ever liked that name.

I love storms. I find them exciting. I had a big day planned of lazing, tv watching, even maybe a movie or two...

I was up early -- before 9am, possibly even before 8:30am. I wasn't quite ready for my morning coffee so when Chris had made his I didn't ask him to put one on for me. It was I dunno ....7 MINUTES from then and we had our first power outage. It came on after 4 minutes,...I quickly got up and raced to get a coffee....put the k-pack in, hit "brew"...and *poof* ...power out again*. I'm unhappy with you Earl. It's slightly windy out there, but you haven't even gotten here yet.

I haven't even showered.

It's going to be a long Saturday.

*Update: after about 20 mins we regained power again -- first coffee has been consumed, and I'm showered up. With the possibility of more power blips I can't possibly do laundry ;).... I do have two books on the go --reading may be my biggest priority today. I hope everyone weathers this storm safely..xo.

Chris Scott, meteorologist

Earl is still a very impressive storm on satellite and radar imagery as we are showing on-air at The Weather Network. This storm will not weaken much as it slams into the Nova Scotia shore this morning.

The centre of Earl will move quickly along the south shore of Nova Scotia this morning bringing very strong southeast winds to areas from Barrington to Halifax. Winds will quickly increase across the rest of Nova Scotia as Earl moves in this morning.

Based on the current track, it is a certainty that the strongest winds from this storm will be felt along the shore of Nova Scotia. Even the east shore and Cape Breton will see very strong winds based on the track that will take the centre of the storm just west of these areas.

You may have been wondering about the discrepancy between the Canadian Hurricane Centre and the U.S. National Hurricane Centre in calling Earl a hurricane vs. a tropical storm. Well, the fact is it is impossible to know without having anemometers in all parts of the storm, and later today, it will get even trickier to decide whether this system is still mainly tropical.

Bottom line – it doesn’t really matter what the storm has been called, or is called now. The winds are going to be strong enough to cause some damage along the shore today, most likely tree damage which will cause power outages.

We are lucky the storm isn’t stronger, but this is still a large and powerful tropical cyclone that is rolling through Atlantic Canada.

Source: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/?ref=topnav_news_logo

No comments: