Search This Blog

Thursday 12 August 2010

Beauty is skin deep. A tattoo goes all the way to the bone. **

Quite often, I've given thought to getting a tattoo. A small one. A respectable one. A few times I've been in the parlor watching my friends get one and almost went through with it, but then I've backed off at the last minute. It's perhaps the whole permanency thing that bothers me. That, oh, and something about pain, as well.

I love the idea of little cat paws somewhere fairly obscure. I mean, how cute is that? And you know how I feel about cats. And no, despite the recent barrage of reality-tv posts from me, I do not toy with the idea of stamping the "Big Brother" logo, or a 'final rose' on my ass. Really.

My ever-fluffing frame has made me question the idea of placement. There's nothing that needs stamping and stretching out on any of my parts. However, perhaps the 'fluff' would help with the pain? I mean, it makes sense that sticking a needle into a wad of fat would hurt much, much less than doing so into a thin layering of skin right over the bone, doesn't it? Perhaps I'm a perfect candidate for this art form after all?

It's quite a mental process. First, you have to settle with the fact that you're going to actually dooooo it. Then, there is the all-important task of what you want inked on your parts forevermore. Originally I had toyed with a tiny daisy or a ladybug and the placement would be on my ankle. Recently, though, I have given considerable thought to one that will be a token or symbol of my father's memory. Thinking of what I want stamped to commemorate him is much more difficult than deciding on the size of ladybug...

My friend Darren has one going down his calf muscle; it consists of Chinese symbols, and says, "like Father, like Son". I love that. It's not obvious. It's not, "Father" with roses and crosses intertwined through it. It's something Darren can share privately... 'spose until he travels China :). So, the idea of mimicking him with a phrase in symbol is a contender. I also thought of a picture that immediately spoke him... He was a lover of the sea, and a member of the Canadian Navy. His father was a lighthouse keeper, and anytime I see a lighthouse I think of him. I have, and will forever describe him as being my Guardian Angel. He died of cancer.

All those words of brainstorm bring up several ideas:
-Chinese symbol for "Father", "Daddy", "My Dad, my Hero", "Daddy's girl"
-an ocean wave
-the Canadian Navy logo consisting of an anchor & crown
-a small anchor alone
-a small lighthouse, or light beam
-a pair of angel wings in-between a heart, with a halo over top of it
-a yellow ribbon

I just can't seem to come to a clear decision. I'm doubtful that I'll be overly popular if I land into the tattoo parlor with my aforementioned list, requesting they come up with something that includes all of them ;). Whatcha think, people?

**Quote by Vince Hemingson

3 comments:

Mosher's Chopping Block said...

The thing that gets me about tats is the...permanence of it all.
I think your logic is sound in that you're thinking about getting something that will forever be a part of who you are 'stamped' on you, well forever.

Most people that get a tat that isn't something near to their heart end up going WTF was I thinking!?!

For example, if you were thinking of getting a tat 10, or say even 15 years ago (except for things such as you mentioned) and think of something you realllly liked back then and thought would be cool to have. Odds are you would slap your 15-year-ago self upside the head and say wtf are you thinking. Like all the meatwads with huge tribal tats on their arms or stupid catch phrases etc., or all the drunk college chicks that decided a tramp stamp etc would be a good idea.

I know my today self wouldn't agree with 15-year-ago-self...and (theoretically) there are a lot more years ahead.

I hope you decide on something cool and go for it...but my advice on the Chinese symbols etc would be to make suuuuure you research the symbols and get exactly that done, you don't want to go in and ask for the symbol for strength only to have the guy do silly canadian or something worse instead. :)

Lana said...

I used to want a tattoo - said I was going to get one for my 30th birthday...my 35th...my 40th.
I was going to get a small, simple tattoo that showed how much of an "islander" I was. I love my friend's tat of a bunch of lupines. I decided a while ago not to get one. As Mosher said, what would I think in 10 - 15 yrs??
I love that you want to get a tattoo to honour your father. As a navy man, he probably had a tattoo or two. What would he think of his little girl getting one, though? Is this really the best way to honour him?

Rhonda Bowlan said...

I'm with ya! Always wanted something small above my ankle, but too chicken to go for it! Maybe we should do it together!