Search This Blog

Monday 1 November 2010

Spooktacular!

Well folks, another successful Halloween is behind us. There is always a costume contest at work. Usually I don't bother, but this year, I decided to dress up as Velma, from Scooby Doo (the old school version, not the new, svelte one of the recent Scooby movies). Let's face it, it wasn't that much of a stretch. All I had to do was don a pair of dark frames and I was instantly transformed. I use the term, "transformed" rather loosely, because, really, I pretty much look just like her. I had the turtleneck and frames at home, and I found the red skirt for a mere $2.36 at a local thrift store. I almost bought a cheap pair of red shoes, but since my quest for orange/rust colored knee socks went unrequited, I opted for black socks to match the black Mary Jane's which I already owned.

I didn't win the contest, but most people knew who I was, which was a relief ;). Some might not have recalled her name, but at least I got, "Hey aren't you that girl from Scooby Doo?". Seeing as how closely Chris can resemble Shaggy after going a few days unshaven and a few weeks past a haircut, you probably haven't seen the last of this particular costume idea.

The attached pic was one my manager took of the costumed group. The two boys peeking around me in the pic are Alex & Chris -two of my favourite work peeps. Alex toughed himself up...even shaving his head for the occasion (now that's dedication to the holiday!). Sadly, he didn't win the contest either, but he got an honorable mention.

Halloween night, Chris & I dressed up a little bit scarier, and were sure to instill a bit of trickery on the unsuspecting (well, some were suspecting, and made sure to "come to that house after dark cause it's better after dark") hoodlets. We had a few helpers this year. Many thanks and kudos go out to Matt & Nicole, who are just as twisted as Chris and I, and I think they equally enjoyed themselves :). We already have thoughts running amongst our head for next year, which could possibly include a fog machine. Be sure to stay tuned ;).

(I am currently having storage issues with my laptop...and my geek has warned me not to download any of my new pics from my camera card until he comes up with a solution for me. I will add pics to this post as soon as I can).

As in previous years, our deck was full of 'greeters'. The darker it got, the harder it was to discern which of our greeters were real, and which were merely taking up space. I was the holder of the treats, but we tricked a few into thinking the rigged candy bowl was 'real' (Chris took an old plastic bowl and covered the bottom of it with wrapped gum pieces, spray-gluing the whole thing to trick them. It was so funny to watch their faces when they saw him go to dump them into their treat bags and they didn't move). The standard soundtrack of screams, howls, a chainsaw and a heartbeat, along with the rustling of the dead sunflowers surely helped in setting up a spoooooktacular setting, and a few squeals from the passersby confirmed it.

Our final tally of kids is not known, for a few always come back for a 2nd scare, and I know a few passed by without stopping in for their treat.

I hope you all enjoyed a safe and happy haunting, too :).

1 comment:

Lana said...

We wanted to come out and visit you to see what spooktacular fun you had cooked up for the ghetto crew, but were expecting the grandkids. I'm glad you guys had fun. PS - You look awesome in the pic!
PPS - Bruce has a fog machine. FYI