Search This Blog

Thursday 22 April 2010

Dear Volkswagen

I found myself in a quandry just a few short years ago. My 4 year lease was just about due on my beloved 2003 Titanium Toyota Corolla S, which I lovingly named, "Lola". Lola's tires were bald, and winter was just about to tear through the Maritimes. I had a decision to make. I could replace the bald tires on Lola and ride out the remainder of the lease and then choose to purchase the car that I loved, or, I could swap Lola for a new car and not have the expense of 4 brand new tires so close to Christmas. Because I lack the good skill of money management, I of course had no extra money on hold to cover the cost of new tires.


I shopped around all the major central dealerships. I decided a lower payment was my best option, and I had a $300 budget in mind (considerably less than the montly lease payment for Lola). I received a few different quotes, and was stuck between 3 choices, all within this $300 budget: 1) buy Lola over a 5 year term, and immediately replace the tires; 2) lease a brand-new base model Corolla; or, 3) lease an 07 City Golf from VW.

The lure of the VW was strictly asthetic. The glow of the pretty blue interior lights and the neat-o, cool, awesome switchblade key. Yes, ladies and gentleman, I'm a snob. And a girl. And, in writing this, a complete fool bordering on utter idiot. I also leaned toward VW for subtle nostalgic reasons. My dad drove a red Bug when I was young. I figured if he drove a VW maybe I should too. Give the other guy a chance, you know? The customer service from VW was amazing. They were practically bending over backwards and kissing my feet unanimously just to win my business {key: "to win my business"}.

I still teeter-tottered. For a number of weeks, while the weather stayed unseasonably warm yet the threat of frost around the corner, my mind still wasn't completely settled. My relationship almost suffered. The boy never agreed on getting rid of the Corolla. The boy actually offered to buy the new tires I needed if I would shut my mouth and just keep it. I didn't see that as a help. Me casa, sous casa -- my money, your money, or some such thing. It didn't make sense....and that glowing blue light haunted me...

Just when I'd thought I had my mind made up that I was going to keep Lola, I had a rash turn of events and I will partially blame Mother Nature. An unexpected weather event - cold temps, snow and ICY roads and bald tires....and a scary, scary drive to VW to 'discuss' their offer and I was practically begging them to take the keys and give me a car with better tires the same day.

So, long story short, I then got Gidgit, my 07 VW City Golf. A nickname that didn't even stick. I
don't feel enamoured by the car in the least. I don't want to give it a nickname. Why, pray tell, did I change my tune, you ask? Over time, a number of things added up to where we are today:


-The day I picked it up, the sales guy had left the lights on and killed the battery. So of course the car wouldn't start when I picked it up. I didn't have a working stereo for 3 days because the restart on the battery reset the damn security code on the thing and it took a dozen emails and calls to the dealership to figure out how to turn it back on.
-There were rattles and clangs I noticed in the first weeks of driving (comparable to the same rattles it took nearly 4 years to hear in the Corolla).
-The windows frost up practically every single cold day and the heat is non-existant (well maybe if you give it a half hour!).
-I couldn't install a car starter because of the mechanics of the car. If they did install one, they'd have to put the valet key in a box under the car...so if anyone knew anything about how these mechanics work, they could steal the car in a matter of moments - thus, also voiding my warranty.
-The promised accessories, upon purchase, were MONTHS coming -- and three requests later, to receive.
-A visit to the dealership for routine maintenance (oil change, fluid tops, etc) resulted in the following exchange:

{I'm seated in the waiting area that is above and to the right of the service bay. Neither side can see the other....but they can be heard.}

Service Guy 1: What's next? {This was after probably 1/2 hr or better waiting}
Service Guy 2: 07 City Golf
Service Guy 1: What's it in for?
Service Guy 2: Oil, fluids, etc.
Service Guy 1: Oh well if it's an 07 City she'll be in for a lot more than that! *Laughter*
Service Guy 2: SHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! SHE'S WAITING UP THERE!

{Needless to day I went to another garage for subsequent oil changes thereafter!}

-Customer service has taken a nose-dive since signing on the dotted line.

As it turns out, I'm a little too early into my lease to consider a trade-in right now. So I sit patiently and wait out my time. If'n anybody's interested in a lease take-over of an 07 City Golf with just over 20,000 kms, lemme know, k?

No comments: