Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 June 2011

2011: The Year of the Mouse*

In my absence from posting I turned over another calendar year. As we speak I have exactly 363 days left to suck out whatever I can from my final days of my "thirties" before embarking on a new *gulp* decade.  You would think I'd have an amazing  story to share of the wild party that took place over the weekend.  You would think that I've been suffering a 3 day hangover on account of the rowdiness and the celebration.  You would think. But, that's not the case.

We'll blame the mice.  So far our carcass count is now up to 3.  We had originally hoped the discovery on the hallway floor was a solitary visitor.  Unfortunately, after allowing 2 days to pass after a thorough clean up, there was new 'matter' of the fecal variety discovered in the original hide out place by the water heater (in our bedroom closet, no less.  Yeah.  Awesome).  So, Sunday afternoon, the official "birth" day, Chris went to Canadian Tire to purchase $20 worth of mouse trapping devices, and he crawled around underneath the mini-home placing them in regular intervals, and loaded up the water tank area.  By the time the area was 'secured' it was after 4pm (oh, and p.s. in addition to the traps, he also landed home with a bathroom scale, which he swears was not a birthday gift, just on sale. Regardless, I was feeling old; and fat; and p!ssy about the mice messing with a good day, so well...you know). 

Originally Chris had planned an all-day "Adventure Day", complete with lunch out at one of our favourite restaurants (seasonal), and a drive.  Because we had such a late start, we couldn't do that, but we made the best of it.  Instead, we travelled to Jewell's Country Market and slurped up a HUGE ice cream cone (the evidence of which still shows on the scarf that I wore that day, waiting to be laundered), while walking through the various rows of pretty plants and flowers. From there, we took a drive, and ended up at East Side Marios for eats.  You never leave that place hungry.  Despite saving more than half of my entree for lunch the next day, I felt pretty nasty full.  Oh, and bonus!  We could now weigh ourselves with the purchase of the new bathroom scales, and each carried another 3lbs or so from the huge supper :P.  A few more episodes of Prison Break later, (we're almost done; god, what are we going to do when it's done?) and it was time for bed.

Monday night, Chris joined Mummy & I for supper at Swiss Chalet.  Mummy spoiled me again this year, with a generous gift card to Reitmans (hellloooo new summer attire!) and she also replenished my perfume, too!  Love you, Mummy....xoxoxo.  Thanks to Todd, too, for his gift card. Unfortunately, he had to work, so it was just the three of us for supper.  We settled on Swiss Chalet.  I was so indifferent when it came to making a decision, if the truth be known, that restaurant was really for Mom and Chris.  My ears have been bothering me (to find out today that the cold I had a few weeks back has plugged them up really good -and now I'm on a prescription to clear them), so I wasn't even that hungry.  From there, we went back to Momma's for a bit, then on to his parents' house for a visit.  Thanks to Rose & Charlie for the gorgeous scarf, tops & little kitty pin! 

On Sunday I have plans to meet up with Lana for some belated birthday schawarma, and a day next week, I'll be kicking back with my girlies to celebrate mine, and Julie R's birthdays, so the fun times aren't over, yet :).  A huge THANK YOU to all who sent well wishes, cards, etc....Love you all!!!!!!!!!

So, even though it was a quiet birthday, it was still spent with the important folks in my life, and I appreciate the time and the generosity more than words! Thanks everyone!! xoxoxo.

*Otherwise known as the year I turned 39

1 comment:

Fizzgig said...

ugh! Mice! I've caught like 10 in the past year, with my trusty orkin easy load mouse traps. They are cute too ...little field mice. I wouldn't feel so bad about mouse murder, if say...nature would do its job. By nature I mean, maybe ONE of my FOUR cats actually catching one of the things!