Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 September 2011

sick kitty

My little Zoe is having a rough few days.  She's been throwing up since last Thursday, and her appetite has been down (normally she's such a little oinker I'm afraid Bosco won't get his fair share).  After watching her go through that the entire weekend and cleaning up way more than a fair share of cat barf, Chris took her to the vet yesterday.  Of course, prior to that I attempted to get my answers via Dr. Google (read: very bad, very, very bad idea).  I was worried sick, and was a teary-eyed pathetic MESS Sunday night and all Monday.  The vet didn't want to jump to any conclusions until she ran some tests so on Monday they took blood and did a full work up.  In addition she declared that Zoe had a substantial heart murmur (a 3-4 on their scale of 6, and 6 being the most worrisome), and a low-grade fever.  Fortunately, the blood work came back clear, but there was still no determination as to what was causing her to be so sick, so an x-ray was booked to see if there was a blockage. She went back today for an x-ray; there was a small spot where the vet thought there could be a blockage, but it wasn't something she wanted to 'open her up for'.  She was given an enema which didn't really result in a large anything, and she was given an anti-puke pill which she promptly puked up.  The vet left instructions to continue force-feeding her the anti-hairball paste (which, up til now, she liked and readily took, but now, apparently loathes), and advised they'd like to have her back in again today for another x-ray to see if the blockage moved.

I'm so completely worried sick about her I don't even know what to do with myself.

Last night when I got home from work I was sure to get as much snuggle time in.  Her ears and face were burning hot so I assume her fever is still present.  Fortunately, it seems the anti-puke pill gave her belly some relief because there was only 1 barf incident, and into the evening, she finally started to show signs of turning around.  Maybe the fever broke.  She has still been drinking, thankfully (always has been a 'water' cat), and she's been taking a little bit of food and treats.  I felt better leaving her to go to work today than I did the past two days.  I'm hopeful that today's x-rays will show that the area of potential blockage has started to move... and will keep the blog posted.  If all my readers could keep my little Zo' in your thoughts and prayers, we'd both appreciate it.  She's my constant little companion, and she's only 6 years old.  I'm hoping, and praying, for many, many more years of snuggles and purrs with her....

No comments: