Search This Blog

Sunday 11 September 2011

I shall never forget

10 years ago today I had the day off from work.  I was settled in my apartment on the couch in front of the tv, watching TLC.  I was glued to either "A Dating Story", or "A Wedding Story", when the phone rang.  It was Tanya, my roommate.  I think she asked me what I was doing and I advised I was chilling in front of a little TLC.  The next words she said are as vivid as if she'd said them today, "Amber, you have to turn the channel....you have to turn on the news...".

I saw the fire burning in the first tower.  I saw the 2nd plane crash through the other tower...and I saw the wreckage of both pummel downward to the ground, and the big plumes of smoke and dust cover everything...


September 11, 2001 will be forever marked in everyone's minds and hearts. 


10 years later, Ground Zero is no longer a place of wreckage, of scars.  A memorial was opened to commemorate the victims of the tragedy.  Where the two towers once stood, now are two square memorial pools, each adorned with the names of victims, amid trees to signify resurgence and regrowth.  A lone tree that was adorned the "Survivor tree", after it had remained standing after the attacks, being one of them.  Today there's a memorial service including a moment of silence at the times of the planes hitting, and the times the towers fell.  The names of all of the victims being read aloud by members' of their families.  Family members gather around the memorial pools, finding the name of their loved ones.  They say a prayer; some take photos; some take pencil rubbings of the names; some leave flowers.

I sit today, again glued to the tv in front of me, as I was 10 years ago.  Again, tears streaming down my face.  I shall never forget September 11.

No comments: