Search This Blog

Saturday 6 August 2011

where have you BEEN???

....I feel like I've been such a spotty blogger that I can't even do an 'update' post any justice. The summer is half over and I haven't let you all in on what's been going on.  I suck.  I'm sorry.  I'll try not to waste your time complaining and coming up with excuses.  Yes, life is busy. Yes, my wrist is bothering me - still. And a lot.  Yes, it's that humid time of year where I'm prone to headaches that feel like my head's going to bust open.  I guess that's where I'll stop complaining.  Here's a little of what's been keeping me off of blogger and out of your lives...
  • One of my dearest friends is on the Island, visitng from Whitehorse.  Julie embarked on the journey with her two girls in tow; Teddy is staying home this visit.  She's only visiting once every two years, so I've been trying to soak up every ounce of available time with her that I can.  The girls are growing up so fast!!  Sarah is a complete clone of Julie, and Alexa, of Teddy.  In fact I've donned her "Little Teddy" this trip.  They're so freaking cute!
  • Chris and I are trying to do a 'date night' once/week, and that usually falls on the weekend.  So, in the past three weeks we have: Had dinner at the Chinese restaurant in Cornwall, then onward to a video store, bringing back a few movies, along with some Cows ice cream* for the road, and then came back home for a movie night.  We even sat on the same couch!  We rented Inception & Little Red Riding Hood.  Inception was CRAZY, but I really enjoyed it.  LRRH was ok...but I kinda wish I'd left my childhood story where it was.  The following weekend, we headed out in the Element on a beautiful Sunday afternoon with no real destination in mind, but in hunt of local vegetable & fruit stands. Chris has a little project he's working on, so he was technically 'working', but it was still an opportunity to share some alone time and explore some different paths and roadways that we've not been to before. We ended up vising Argyle Shore Provincial Park, several different roadstands and ended the day in Kensington for supper (and more importantly, dessert) at the Frosty Treat.  Last weekend, we had supper at Maggie's & then onward to the theatres for a showing of a new movie, Friends with Benefits.  It was really cute.  I didn't even mind that that much that it was Justin Timberlake who starred in it.  Tonight, we have a double-date planned for dinner & a movie with Melissa & Darren!  So excited; we haven't had a chance to spend time with them since their wedding - so LONG overdue!
  • I finally got out with my girlfriends, albeit, more than a month late, for my birthday supper.  We went out to the Old Triangle for a change.  The food was good, though a bit expensive ($2 more to make a sandwich a wrap instead of a keizer? WTF?). The company made up for the price. Thanks girls.
  • Last weekend, I joined the girlies at Tanya's house to celebrate the upcoming Baby Redmond's arrival.  I can't post pictures yet, because it was a 'themed' shower, and not everyone knows the 'theme' yet.  Suffice it to say that Julie got a lot of really nice stuff :).  Speaking of a pregnant Julie R, I also joined Chris on her maternity photoshoot a few weeks ago. It was a hot and very humid evening; we got some great shots at a local area park, and got back to her place before a big thunder bumper passed by. We'll be back after Baby R arrives for more pics, and perhaps I'll share a few on the blog at that point :).
  • Last week, Chris & I met Julie's friends Jen & Roger.  They used to live in Whitehorse, too, but just recently moved to Ottawa.  They and their 2 kids drove to PEI on vacation, lining up when Julie was home as well.  We grabbed a drink and munchies before they headed back on the road the next morning.  It was great to meet them - and it's easy to see why Julie thinks so fondly of them.  I helped Jen make a 40th Birthday scrapbook for Julie, and she brought it with her to give it in person.  It turned out great!  Great to meet you Jen & Roger!  We'll be sure to catch up with you in October if Chris & I make the big trek up your way!
  • No summer update is complete without a little BB talk!  Yes, we're still heavily enthralled with the show...collectively gagging when the camera panned to the scenes with the blubbering Brachel duo.  We were SO delighted that Brendon finally got the boot last week.  Now, to work on the other half!  We're still cheering on Jeff & Jordan, as well as Daniele.  The latest "twist" of a formerly voted out housemate getting the chance to get back into the game makes me nervous.  Will Brendon & his big mouth land his way back there?  Wouldn't surprise me.  Ah well, makes for loads of drama, anyway!
  • Last night, Julie & I had a date night of our own!  We stuffed ourselves on garlic at Pizza D, then went shopping for t-shirts for her, and then made our way to the theatre where we caught the late show of Horrible Bosses.  If you haven't seen this yet, you should try to get to it.  So freaking funny.  Not long ago Chris made a comment to me that every time Jennifer Aniston stars in a movie she basically plays Rachel.  Wait til he sees this movie.  Thanks Julie for an awesome time! 
  • On a sad note, Chris got some disappointing news yesterday.  A friend of his who has been undergoing treatments for cancer was advised that the treatments weren't working, and he's been given only a few months to live.  He's in the midst of getting settled into his home to spend his final days with his loved ones by his side.  We're so, so, so sorry to hear that it didn't go his way, and wish him, and his family, strength in the next while.  Go out there and LIVE people.  Don't put off stuff you think you can do another day.  Life is so precious and fragile. 
*speaking of ice cream. Dear LORD the ice cream consumption this summer has been atrocious.  If my wrist wasn't so bad I might consider trying to get a part-time job at Cows so that I might be sick of it.  It worked for me back in the day when I worked for Garden City.  I didn't want to even LOOK at an ice cream scoop or drop of ice cream for years after that.  Something tells me that wouldn't work though. 

2 comments:

Fizzgig said...

did you know who the wolf was in red riding hood? it kept me guessing!

Amber said...

Hey Fizz - actually no, I was surprised by who it turned out to be. Least there was that ;). Thanks for reading, eh. :)