Search This Blog

Friday 11 November 2011

remember

My father was a member of the Royal Canadian Navy.  From there, he worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs until retirement. And, up until his death, he joined the Canadian Corps of Commissionaries. He instilled in me a deep appreciation for remembering those who gave up the ultimate sacrifice, and the importance of November 11 as a day to remember them.


Every year on this day, for at least a few moments, I stop what I'm doing and think about the brave soldiers who lost their lives fighting.  They fought to bring freedom to our nation.  They died in sacrifice to the freedom we all know, and share, and for the most part, take for granted.  Thank you soldiers, past and present, for allowing me to live and breathe in a nation of freedom and peace.  Thank you.

For the past hour and a half I've been watching coverage of various memorial services for Remembrance Day - the majority of which airing from Ottawa.  The camera pan across the crowd of previous service men and women, tears in their eyes, is very affecting.  I've wiped my own tears away several times.

Lest we forget.

No comments: