Search This Blog

Friday 26 March 2010

Fear

Shortly after our family had moved to the Island from Ottawa (I was 10 years old), I had a nightmare that had me waking up in tears, with my heart feeling like it was going to beat out of my chest. To this day, I can still remember the dream vividly, and how it made me feel.

In Ottawa, we lived in a townhouse, and across the street there was a park with a ball diamond in behind another row of houses. My friends and I spent hours over there, playing. I dreamt that I was back in Ottawa, visiting my old neighborhood. I was taking a nostalgic walk across the road from my old house, to check out the place that held so many childhood memories. As I walked up to the pitcher's mound someone grabbed me from behind, putting his hand over my mouth and a knife to my throat. His voice was gruff as he threatened, "Be quiet, or I'll slit your throat".

It was at that point that I woke up. I tried to muffle my cries because I realized that it was just a dream, and felt silly for being so upset. Instant relief took over when I fully realized that it was only a dream, and that I was safe, in my bed. If given the chance to go back to my old neighborhood to take a look around, I'd go. Would I take a walk across the ball field by myself? No.

I can only imagine the unspeakable fear and absolute horror that poor woman from NB felt as she was abducted on her way home from work. What strength she had to have as she actually lived someone's worst nightmare. I am so happy for her, and for her family that good fortune was on her side and she was able to escape. I hope the full extent of the law is handed to that crazy freak who made her endure such terror.

No comments: